Grasslands Loop Trail

Grasslands Loop Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, CA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

www.mtrp.org

Beautiful scenery, especially in winter. I wouldn't call this trail moderate - especially when compared to Cowels or Iron Mountain (also listed as moderate). Good hike/walk for beginner/intermediate hikers - just watch for rattlers during the warmer summer months!

Nice view of the dam located on this trail.

Great trail for running

Where to start...

Within the first 30 seconds of being on the trail we watched as three toddlers and an unleashed dog almost got run over by two mountain bikers because the mother was off in lala land. We started on the trail labeled Grasslands Loop but as with most of the trails, there is a trailhead with a list of 6-8 trails and no directional pointers or mileage. The trails were super crowded (hundreds of people, no exaggeration), very wide (10-20 ft), and some even had cars driving on them. My husband and I are avid hikers and most trails were completely flat. Most of the summit trails we tried to follow were shut down to rebuild the habitat without any warning. We did a lot of turning around. When we finally found a viable trail, we got to the summit along with 20 other people. We will not be returning to this area. It was very disappointing.

This area is awesome. It has many trail heads and lots of parking. I went on a Friday morning, I only ran into maybe 7 people on my 10 mile journey. I started in the grass meadows, and it's a very easy hike. I then ventured up to the old dam and it was still very easy. There was a ton of wildlife to look at. From there I cut back across the grass meadows and followed highway 52 up to the peak (1200"). This part of the trail I would consider moderate to hard. The view from the top was beautiful, I could see all the way to the coast. If you make it to the highest peak there is a cool treasure chest up there. I won't ruin it and tell you exactly what it is. In closing, this area has many trails to chose from and is a great place to test yourself. Easily one of my favorites.

A very nice beginner's trail. It loops through relatively flat terrain with low rolling hills. The trail is in very good condition and there is plenty of wildlife in the grasslands habitat. We split off from the loop trail and went up Spring Canyon then back.