Grasshopper Trail

Grasshopper Trail is a 15 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Myers Flat, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until September.

bridge out

A strenous out and back hike in the Humboldt Redwoods State Park. The hardest and longest hike in the area. This hike requires a river crossing (Eel River) which can only be done in the summer. The hike starts in thick old growth Redwoods but thins out to Firs and Pines as you gain elevation. There are some decent views as you go up but the best views are had at the top.

This hike is almost too long for what it is. Although I appreciate a long hike very much so, this one was some what droll. It just dragged on towards the end. Don't get me wrong, amazing views to say the least. But by the end I wanted it to be over! Once you get the the head of the actual trail it really begins to shine in beauty. Sadly I got no view at the top as I was in immense fog. It rained for about half the time I was on the trail. At the 5.5 mile sign is where it seemed much longer than said distance.

From the Burlington camp site across the 101 is a trail head called nature trail , with that is the river trail and or bridge. Once across the bridge go left and maybe 500 ft their is a stair/ladder within the woods, shortly after that is a sign from that sign is a left towards grasshopper trail (1.5 miles) you'll come across another sign to go left 5.5 miles till grasshopper trial. Towards the end seeming like much farther than 5.5 miles is a sign (.2 miles) till grasshopper lookout. After (.2 miles) is a sing that says (.3 miles) tills grasshopper lookout. As I said I saw nothing but fog but apparently you can see the ocean from the top, their is also a lookout tower that people observe of fires and such.

Excellent workout hike, (as I said) nice views regardless of hiking interest. I only saw two hikers on the trail .1 miles from the top. Hike seems MUCH longer than 15 miles, it may be with the connecting trails leading to the trail head.

Road my downhill bike up there with a buddy (his idea). This was a beautiful ride with very little single track. Unfortunately we got lost on the way down and started riding up another ridge. Got about half way up before we road back the way we came. All in all it was an epic day... Bring a map.

Awesome hike with an incredible view at the top. I did this hike with my friends Czar and Andrew when we were staying at the Humboldt Redwoods State Park (across the river). I mention the river because you do have to cross the Eel River to get to this hike. It just about pulls you in when you're trying to walk across it (but would not be risky if you knew how to swim).

The hike is about 6.5 each way (so you're fairly tired by the time you make it to the top). Push all the way! Keep going until you hit the fire lookout at the top. The view is absolutely worth it. We took a nice nap in the sun up there. If I were to do it again, I might actually camp up there at the top (especially if the park were full).

One of the notable things about this trail is the fact that you will see absolutely no people. Most people don't want to bother crossing the river and it doesn't look like they are going to rebuild the bridge anytime soon. If you can manage the river, the mountain is yours. For that reason, I don't recommend bringing anything that you can't get wet.

The path up starts off with thick redwoods but changes to pines as you go up (Redwoods don't do altitude that well). This was extremely pleasant hike and I was good and tired and ready for dinner over the fire by the time I got down. I wish I were there now!