Granite Lake and Upper Blue Lake

Granite Lake and Upper Blue Lake is a 4.6 mile out and back trail located near Markleeville, CA and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from July until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Aug 6th, we camped at upper blue lake campground and hike from upper blue lake to granite lake. Due to the season, the upper granite lake dried and made a wild flower blooming at the shore of upper blue lake. It was fantastic, like a flower fastival. And the hiking from the trailhead to granite lake was mild and easy, but lake was great.
I could recommend this course especially early August season.

It was a beautiful hike. There are still patches of snow (July 9), wild flowers, an numerous mosquitos. Beware that the trailhead says Grouse Lake and not Granite Lake. After on the trail, Granite Lake is mentioned. Great hike. Richard

Another great trip to Granite Lake. What a great place to take kids to learn the basics, hone their skills and build enthusiasm and confidence. My 9 1/2 and 11 yr old made their 3rd trip here and they love it. Still pursuing the elusive fish, but the bouldering, day hikes and exploring are great and keep us busy.

I take my blind son (11) and my daughter (9) here very year for 3 yrs. An easy hike with a few inclines that are a bit of work for kids with 15-20 lb backpacks. They do great and enjoy every moment. We stay 2 nights and it is always a blast. The kids love climbing boulders and their favorite part is the river crossing log at the beginning of the trailhead near the lake parking lot.

Moderate trail with spectacular views and a very picturesque lake with options to continue on.