EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Ghost Mountain Trail to Yaquitepec

Ghost Mountain Trail to Yaquitepec is a 1.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Julian, CA that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and horses and is accessible from October until April. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

One of the more interesting artifacts of California's Anza-Borrego Desert State Park is Yaquitepec on Ghost Mountain. The ruins of the South Home, where a family of writers lived in the 1930s, can be seen from the top of this short, steep trail that begins in Blair Valley, 2.7 miles from Highway S-2. The "South Home," actually an adobe cabin, was built by Marshal and Tanya South when they began homesteading in 1932, before the area was within the state park boundaries. This is a rewarding hike with interesting remains to explore and beautiful 360 views.

We did this hike as an evening hike. The trail was pretty easy to follow even at night. You will need head lamps if you attempt this in the evening. The view is amazing, no wonder why Marshal South wanted to live there. Check out my blog about the hike.

A walk, but rugged on the approach to the cabin. Worth the hour to see some history as a side trip on the way to/from the hot springs or other points of interest in A-B Park area. A neat little hike for the kids - short enough to survive, long enough to feel like you've gone somewhere, and recognizable remnants of a cabin at the top.

My primary reason for being in the area of this trail was to drive the 4 wheel drive through Blair Valley but I did the hiking trails along the drive as well. This was the last of the three trails on that drive that I hiked. I'm out of shape and it being the third one I did that day, and it being seriously uphill, it was rough but I made it. It's steep and rocky but doable. It's easy to lose the trail in the switchbacks if you don't pay attention but it isn't like you'll get lost. I made it to the top and saw the cabin ruins which was pretty cool. The view at sunset was fantastic. I had difficulty finding the start of the trail back down because there are footprints everywhere. The trail is rocky so the path is not always clear. Be sure to make note of where you pop up on top so you can find where to start back down easily. I saw only one other family on the trail while I was there. They had two kids and seemed to have no trouble getting up or down.