Garnet Peak Trail

Garnet Peak Trail is a 2.3 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Pine Valley, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

1 hour ago

Yesterday, September 24, 2016 hiked Garnet Peak from Penny Pines trailhead, which is about 2.73 miles to summit! We were amazed with the scenic view of the desert and Salton Sea. To get some good hiking mileage, we decided to hike this gigantic loop which consisted from of the famous Pacific Crest Trail (PCT), Pioneer Mail Trail, crossing Sunrise Highway, onto Pine Mountain Trail, Champagne Pass, Indian Creek Trail and ending with Noble Canyon Trail, crossing Sunrise Highway again to Penny Pine Trailhead. Total 12.66 hiking mileage!!

My wife and I did this hike on Labor Day and we were alone for most of the hike.

Great view and fairly easy hike up. We came from the old bridge about 2 miles north on pacific crest trail. My wife and I are really enjoying a wonderful day together.

Spectacular views! Last time I hiked this it was a freezing cold morning. I posted the video on my hike in YouTube. You can find it by searching the #thisgirlhikes.

Very beautiful and very short/easy hike. Should be easy not moderate. Awesome views await you at the top.

Stunning 360 degree views looking east toward Anza-Borrego and back to the lush green forest around Cuyamaca and Julian. Nice hike up, and a great side trail off the PCT.

amazing view overlooking the anza borrego dessert.

Awesome views. Zero shade! Bring a hat, wear sunscreen, and bring plenty of water.

Awesome hike, would have loved it even more if it were longer. Steady incline with a few loose rocks along the way. A big plus is that there's hardly any crowd. The views are very beautiful and unique. You get to see a lush forest on one side (Cleveland National Forest) and dry mountain landscape on the other. Just about an hour's drive from San Diego.

Great view and a perfect quick day hike.

The actual hike is pretty interesting with some funky shrub guys pokin' up amongst other weird plants. The view at the top blew away expectations and it was very cool to be able to be on the line where mountainous forrest just drops off to the desert below it. Bring warm clothes and food it's really cold and windy.

Short hike at sunrise to beat the heat with beautiful views. It was perfect morning.

Nice hike. Started from Penny Pines parking area (4.1 miles out and back). Great views of the desert below. Sunny, very windy, mid-60F pleasant afternoon hike.

Great Hike! Easy with great views throughout the trail. My friends and I hiked up at around 4 am to catch the sunrise which was breath taking. We got to the peak with plenty of time to spare. Remember to check the weather out ahead of time... We didn't account for the wind and were freezing on the peak.

Beautiful view. Great for beginners who want to add more peaks to their hiking resume. Hardly anyone out there for MLK weekend which was nice. Beautiful views from each part of the trail. Does get really breezy so if you have a hat, make sure it fits! Also watch your trash! I collected a handful of wrappers. They easily get blown out of pockets if you're not careful! Beautiful trail, beautiful view.

Went out to the trail today around afternoon and had both of my dogs with me. We started at the Penny Pines parking area and hiked through a tiny bit of the Pacific Crest Trail to the Garnet Peak Trail. Weather was great! It was mid-50's, sun was nice and warm, and there was a little breeze. Trail wasn't too heavily packed, although we had to pull the dogs aside a few times and wait. This is a shorter trail. Around 2 miles, give or take, but has decent little climbs along the way. Over all, relatively easy! The view though, is absolutely breathtaking! Looking over into the desert was superb! I can't imagine the view if this was hiked at sunrise! I loved this hike. Perfect for a nice afternoon out and back! We will be back here often, I'm sure!