Froom Canyon - Irish Hills Preserve

Froom Canyon - Irish Hills Preserve is a 4.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Luis Obispo, CA that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, trail running, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

A loop trail on the northeast end of the Irish Hills. This trail is good for hikers and mountain bikers. Part of the trail is old mining road so it is very rocky in places. Moderate ability needed.

Was a good hike, pretty easy for me and my son. Steep at first but totally doable for all ages.

I love Irish Hills. There are so many different trails you can go so many different directions and you never get bored

Not sure where this trail starts. There are so many intersecting trails. You can start at the Perfumo Rd trail head or the Madonna Rd trail head or the Johnson Ranch trail head. There are a lot of fingers, so you can pick your length.

Though it starts out at the edge of the sprawl of SLO's commercial center, this loop breaks into the wilderness right off the bat. The trails are well maintained and have wooden crossing bridges throughout - perfect for running, biking or walking. I started on Mariposa which has a good coverage of oak trees for the first half-mile or so and then leads on to a uncovered maintenance road near the top. There are a few power lines throughout the summit, but the view of Bishop Peak, Cerro San Luis and a few of the other Seven Sisters are worth it. On the other side of the loop is Poppy Trail/Froom Creek Trail, which cuts into the canyon. Really a nice trail overall with how easy it is to access.

I go here often. I like going off into the different trails

I was just visiting San Luis Obispo for two weeks and found this app while looking for running trails in the area. I'm a nine minute mile runner on my best days and this trail wore me out!! It was great. Just the right amount of steep up hill and downhill with a decent amount of single track trail carved into the hills under trees and in the shade. It would have been much more enjoyable early morning or late afternoon.

Of the trails I've hike/ran in SLO, this is tops. A great running trail. I look forward to returning.

Nice view at the top of the loop I took. Very few people on this trail.
There are a lot of different paths to take.

Fun and easy trails. Plenty to see. Hiked this with my wife and our friend Ty and his dogs. We went to "The Gate".

Irish Hills actually has a network of trails and 3 trailheads. New land has just been added to the reserve, new trails are constantly under construction. The older established trails are well marked and signed but the new ones are not. Take a map with you when you go, or you may find yourself far away at another trailhead on the otherwise of the reserve.

This is a loop trail known as Froom Canyon or Froom Ranch. It is a series of established trails and a new extension loop through a canyon following a creek bed (runs rapid in the rainy season). Part of the trail is along an old mining road. Very rocky, use caution. The trail circles around to the top of the canyon with nice views of the Morros from Islay to Hollister.

Close into the city and no trouble to get to it. A great workout, good nature experience.