French Trail and Stream Trail Loop via Skyline Blvd

French Trail and Stream Trail Loop via Skyline Blvd is a 7.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Canyon, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Park at the Skyline Gate Staging Area at Pine Hills Dr.

decent, no amazing views

Nice trail with lots of route options. A quick and muddy hike after some rain, perfect for a 5 month old lab.

Can get very crowded during the weekend, yes. Just went on MLK day and by most major Trail junctions there were crowds milling about. Ditto for any areas near parking lots. And lots of dogs, yes, but who wouldn't want to bring their pup to such a beautiful resource so close to those of us in the east bay? I don't have a dog and I used to be irked by trail dogs but that's not the case anymore.
The hike itself is mostly covered and there are only a few sections of actually steep climbing. I did use trekking poles and if you have them, bring them! Also if you go when it's rained recently, wear boots; it WILL be muddy! I had fun sliding and slipping around. Overall fun hike and fun distance (8.4 miles).

Wonderful! It was my first time to this area, and although I've completed over 50 hikes in the Bay Area, this was one of my favorites. I went down French and came back up Stream. I couldn't wait to get off West Ridge as there were way too many loose dogs. French Trail was great - scenic, not much traffic, and I only passed one dog off leash. Stream Trail Park is a great place to sit down, relax, and get some water half-way through the hike. Dogs are required to be on leash on Stream Trail. Get there early. I arrived at 9 am Saturday and the lot was already full. When I returned to the staging area at noon, the streets were lined with cars.