EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Four Mile Trail

Four Mile Trail is a 8.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Yosemite National Park, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from April until November.

The Four Mile Trail switchbacks 3200 feet down and 4.8 miles one-way from Glacier Point to Yosemite Valley, providing wonderful views of the valley. See Half Dome, North Dome, El Capitan, Cathedral Rocks, the Royal Arches, and full views of Yosemite Falls. From the top, the trail is fairly flat for the first mile, then hits relentless switchbacks at the reverse Tunnel View and then along cliffside views to Union Point at the 1.8 mile mark, that then take you into the trees and down to the valley floor near the Swinging Bridge. Views are more spectacular closer to the top of the trail such that if you don't want to go the whole trail in both directions and have transportation (bus or private car) to or from the top, you can hike a partial way down from the top to the switchbacks and the reverse Tunnel View, taking in the best views. The end of the trail puts you at the visitor center at Glacier point. The trip down, while not as strenuous as the trip up, requires your attention due to the decomposed granite. The trail can be very slippery. More info: http://www.yosemitehikes.com/yosemite-valley/four-mile-trail/four-mile-trail.htm

37 minutes ago

My 2 kids (age 12 and 14) and I hiked down this trail at the end of July. We had a guide drive us up to the top at Glacier Point, then we spent the next 3 hours hiking down. It was very steep going down. We stopped for lunch along the way. The views were incredible. I think this is the best way to see a lot of Yosemite while getting some good exercise. I was definitely sore the next day due to hiking downhill all day. I would definitely recommend this! (Especially going downhill only!)

I struggled with ranking between 4 and 5 stars because you could argue the view alone at the top of this hike is worth 5 stars (Glacier Point). It's definitely a difficult hike with steep switch backs most of the way up. The view stays relatively the same most of the way up, as you get a great vantage of the Cathedral and El Capitan. Make sure you go early to take advantage of the morning shade, as most of the trail is exposed by early afternoon. As I mentioned at the beginning of the post, the view at the top of Glacier Point is spectacular - definitely gives you a nice sense of accomplishment for hiking up.

Just seemingly endless switchbacks but it's true -- you have beautiful Yosemite Falls just across the Valley over your shoulder the entire time, and as you climb it reveals more and more of itself and its drop. I would also recommend starting early as we were caught in the very hot sun during the bulk of the climb and it was fully exposed.

The views from Glacier Point at the top of the hike are unrivaled: Yosemite and Tenaya Valleys, Half, North, and Basket Domes, Arches, Clouds Rest, Vernal Fall . . . BUT! It really is a nasty slap in the face emerging from the last wooded section at the top into what looks like a Nat'l Parks Disneyland up there. It's packed full of tourists who've either driven or paid to shuttle up there and they ignorantly stand or sit in your way as you try to finish the trail or get to the lookout zone. It was difficult to even find a place to sit away from anyone. Congested!

But what can you do? That's summer in Yosemite Valley for ya. Would I do this hike again? Probably not. Too many other great hikes nearby with fewer people to justify it --- but still had to find out for myself!

switchback slogfest. glad i started early got some really great views of yosemite falls.

It is amazing! great views of Yosemite Upper and Lower Falls, then later of Half Dome. I recommend going early in the morning to avoid the heat, as there is shade at the beginning and end of the trail but not so much in the middle. we did see a rattle snake go across the trail, but I am told that it is unusual. For an easier hike, you can pay $25 and take the tour bus to the top, and just hike down the trail.

Hot July day. Lots of water but worth the hike up. Only went one way and met family at top to then hike Sentinel Dome before star gazing later.

Don't let the name fool you!!! This hike is NOT an easy hike but is definitely worth the climb. If you hike from the bottom up, you will spend the next couple hours climbing up with almost no flats or downhill. As you continue to climb, you get great views of the waterfalls in the park and of the half dome. Once at the top, the views are just spectacular. A must-do if in Yosemite but definitely be prepared for a strenuous hike. Bring lots of water and sunscreen!

After 23 miles, this climb was Tough to the end to Glacier point, total 28 miles loop

I love this trail. Definitely gets your lungs burning going up and ankles/knees burning coming down. I did the the up and back as part of a bookend on a longer hike. Was able to make it up in exactly 2 hours and down in 1:45. Admittedly I was moving quickly but I took a few small breaks

I did this hike in very late April and there was still snow on the trail at the very end of the hike (I had to turn back in March because of the snow). The hike has AWESOME views of Yosemite Falls and reverse views of the valley tunnel.

Take enough water and snacks......you will be burnin calories going up. The views at the top are worth it. NOTE: I encountered many people who appeared to be unprepared for the difficulty of the uphill portion of the hike. I think the name of the trail is deceiving.....not as easy as it sounds. Enjoy!!

This was an enjoyable hike. It's a relatively steep climb but I'm not an experienced hiker and I could do it. It starts out with switchbacks that lead to some great views of haldome and Yosemite falls. We did the hike in late April and was not able to make it to the top due to snow. We made it 4 out of the 4.5 miles up though. The trail was passable but we got snowed out and lost the trail. Overall, it was a nice somewhat challenging trail with some great views the entire time.

Decide to tackle this one for my very first Yosemite trip. Started at 9 am. The trail is steep, almost always zigzagged and climb up.
The view is stunning, around every corner. You will always have the beautiful view of Yosemite Falls and the valley entrance by your side.
The union point gate is close on that day, but all the hikers just gathered there and looking at each other and decided to sneak in ;)
We met a group of ranger on the way up who is cleaning the snows on the trail. Hard work and very appreciated to them. They let us through, there was just that probably 150 yards which has snow and ice on your right and sharp cliff on your left. The trail has been not even 2ft narrow, very unique experience.
And after that it's quite flat and easy to get to Glacier Point.
Very well worth the 3.5 hours difficult hike up there. At Glacier Point you can overlook the entire valley.

Amazing views. Great hike for those wanting a challenge. Bring water and take pictures. Tons of switchbacks.

My boyfriend and I decided at 3pm that we wanted to hike and we just happened to drive pasted the sign for Four Mile and thought it looked beautiful! So we had an amazing time! It was misting/raining and the clouds were wrapped around Upper Yosemite Falls and Half Dome. The trail view was insane, you could see the Upper falls pouring almost the entire hike and the view from the top was so worth it. We would definitely recommend that you start earlier because we finished in the dark! It took us four hours total to do the hike, it is considered one of the hardest trails out of the valley but if you take your time it is not difficult and well worth the work!

Made the mistake of tackling this guy before the snow at melted at the last quarter mile. Had to turn back as it was just too icy. A shame I didn't get to Glacier point but will have to get back during summer.

A strenuous hike going up. Tons of switchbacks, steep elevation gains. Not as bad coming down. Bring lots of water and snacks!

Loved it. Did it in July and was lucky to see a rainbow in front of Half Dome.
Amazing.