Fortuna Mountain Trail

Fortuna Mountain Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, CA that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Beginners and newcomers should start out at Equestrian Circle. Equestrian Cir Santee, CA 92071 is the address you want to use if you are using Google Maps. Otherwise, there are many trail heads and look on a trail map of where to go.

Good hike. Not to far of a drive. Good for bike riding.

I really enjoyed this hike, definitely a challenge. This is not a trail for beginners. I saw a review call it a maze. That it is. I highly recommend using a gps or gps app on a phone with the trails pre-cached. The biggest slowdown in the hike was regularly checking the map at junctions due the short segments of trail. I started the hike in the dark and caught the sunrise in the south summit. Very nice, Cowles Mountain was silhouette in the foreground.

Good trail. Not for beginners though. My advise is to start early. Overall, it's good workout.

Got both peaks, south side first. Mission trails is really a maze to me. I seemingly always get lost. This is a great trail, lotsa views and a good little workout.

What a great hike. I enjoyed going the suggested counter-clockwise route. Though climbing the stair steps was a bit daunting at first. I think that was a better way to go and avoid too much strain on the knees stepping down them all. I will most definitely be hitting this trail again.

Nice trail for hiking, running. Barely any shade on trail, so plan ahead based. upon temperature. Starting with South Fortuna side to avoid steep stairs on your way back.

Nice trail with many alternative trails. Will come back to try the different trails.

Great loop for trail running. I would recommend doing it counter clockwise so that you climb the stairs up to South Fortuna first. This will get your climbs done early and the back half is easily runnable.

The only major downside is that there are too many trails so that it can be frustrating to navigate, especially the Western part. Even after doing it a few times, I still need to pull my phone out a few times to figure out which way to go.

I hiked the trail clockwise in two hours, with only two short breaks. Steep in some sections, the stairs might have been the hardest part even though I was going downhill.

went on a pretty hot day. it was really hot in the beginning but got a little better in the middle of the hike. the signs are really confusing and no arrows along the trail. just posted signs. we started off the fortuna trail and ended up on the Rim trail loop. the rim trail was fun. the view up there was worth it. i wouldn't go again though unless on a cool day and if they improve on the directions.

Doing both North/South Fortuna will kick your butt, but it's totally worth it. it starts pretty easy and sneaks some challenging inclines in. Good luck

A tough one but a good training run for hills. Also the location of one of my favorite half marathon trail races.

Great hike!!

Great hike! A lot of fun! Steep incline though!

The steeper uphill sections are too steep and loose to ride for the enthusiast rider. It's work for those who like hiking their bike up South Fortuna. Why? Because some like the challenge. Great local trail that info often when running, biking or hiking a 40lb pack for fitness.

Definitely a good hike with plenty of ups and downs. Good views from the peak. It's just very brown but then again this is true of many of the SD hikes during the summer. Distance closer to 7mi