Fiske Peak via Blue Ridge Trail

Fiske Peak via Blue Ridge Trail is a 7.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Rumsey, CA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

This is a beautiful hike. It is strenuous, but since you're climbing over 2000 feet, you get some awesome views all along the way. There are a lot of switchbacks, so the climbs aren't too steep.

The elevation gain makes this a challenging "moderate" hike but the views at the top are worth it. Just be prepared for some steep inclines and rocky patches

This trail has beautiful views along the steady climb. Lots of scrambling over rocks. Coming down at 2:30pm I encountered a rattlesnake whose rattle warning sent me yelping back up the hill in surprise. He must have been sunning himself on the trail. Otherwise, not much wildlife- just tiny lizards and a bird here and there.

For an 8 miles out and back you get your workout bang for the miles buck; almost all of it in the first three miles with about a 2,000 feet elevation gain.

The elevation gain is not all of it. While the first 1.5 miles or so are easy enough to navigate, the trails becomes noticeable more rocky and a bit tougher to manage for the top half of the ascent: a bit of washout here and there, narrower trail with encroaching bushes, tight and steep switchbacks.

But the huffing and puffing is worth the effort as sweeping views await when you reach the ridge. As a previous reviewer has noted, a short scrambling detour to the unnamed peak to the north (when you reach the ridge) offers very nice views overlooking Cache Creek and the parking area you started from.

The .75 miles to Fiske Peak itself are easy enough to negotiate; don't forget to sign the register at the top (if you are so inclined) and to stop and enjoy the 360 degrees panorama, including Sutter Buttes in the distance to the East-North-East.. Another time, I may continue to Lowery Peak (another 3 miles to the south - 6 round trip) to get above 3000 feet.

A short-ish trail on the demanding side of "average", especially for older legs :-)

Great hike.... Good workout. Spectacular views at top. Carry plenty of water.

Difficult for beginners!!

tough hike for sure. Def need to go when not to hot. tough on joints, nice views from top. lots of narrow spots that u really have to be careful on. we have done hikes rated as hard that were easier than this one, so moderate may be an understatement. had 3 kids with us 10,11 and 12 yrs old. they crushed it, admitted to being sore at end. views were worth it! recommend doing mt st Helena first which is very close to this one and will give amazing similar views.

I've hiked this trail, partially, several times and did it again yesterday (5/12/16). Probably bad timing for it -- it's starting to get a little too hot, and this is a strenuous hike. There are 3 trees down blocking the trailhead; I had to remove my backpack and,crawl under.
Lots of flies and mosquitos right now.
I've never hiked the whole thing. After the 1000 foot mark, it continues a little further to the dry (right now) gulch, where you continue to the left up the hill. You continue climbing, up and up, dirt trail, until eventually it levels out, then there's a little steep downhill into some boulders you have to navigate and then continue around the mountain. This is generally my turn-around point. so, while I haven't done the whole thing, I think I've done most of the climbing.
Great workout!

Great trail. Did it during the hot spell in Feb '16.
First three miles were shady, damp, verdant and pretty steep.
The last mile (along the ridge) is fairly flat, sunny and dry.
The unnamed peak on the north side of the ridge offers some good views, but take a short bushwack (the trail is labyrinthine and a bit overgrown).

There is a register at the top of Fiske peak (under a rock containing the western-most of the three usgs markers).

Great hike for the location with rewarding views. The trail is well marked and safe (save for a few sketchy den sites!). One of many great trails in the Cache Creek area.

Awesome hike. Good for those who want to physically challenge themselves. It's a nice gradual climb all the way up! Views from the top are really nice...This trail leads right into the trail that heads to Fiske Peak. I recommend you head to Fiske Peak, it's not too far. There's a guest book at the top of Fiske Peak too!

very lovely hike. The trail is a const up hill for the most part but not a bad grade at all. I'd still say it is moderate due to the incline and hiking in summer add the difficulty of the heat.

Take it clockwise for the best workout - just about 1,300 ft climb.

This is a nice hike. Should take roughly 4 hours round trip. Not ideal in summer, temps hit high 90's up to 100. Completed about year ago. Signed the guest book in the ammo can at the survey marker

our late Fall hike was strenuous but worth the effort. Sun dappled creek, fall colors, great shade through the wooded areas and of course beautiful overview of valley and mountains. We took our little dogs and they had a great workout too. Unfortunately, I picked up a nasty hitch hiker on my body. Be sure to check for ticks.

I've tried this one several times, apparently haven't made it to the top yet! Fantastic views, but I would describe this trail as dangerous in some places -- very narrow, and potentially steep drop down that mountain! It's obvious, but you really need to be prepared on this one. My trail guide talks about markers at 2000 feet and 2500 -- I've never seen these markers; however, unless I'm stopping to look at the magnificent views, I'm really watching my footing, so could easily miss those markers. I guess a pedometer would help -- yesterday, when I climbed this (2/24/14), I really felt I had gone more than 3 miles. I don't know if there's supposed to be a marker at the top. I did run into a fellow along the way that said the top is a "flat area with magnificent views"...Well, I did reach a point that I'd describe like that, but the trail kept on going (which I know it does, to Fiske Peak). So, I kept following it, and eventually came to an area that looked too dangerous. Steep little downhill climb, thru some rocks. If you go around the outside rock, you have about a 1/2 foot or so to the edge -- straight down from there!
I thought about it; I really wanted to keep going. I had already fallen, tho, and my right shoulder was sore from that. I finally figured I could make it down, but wasn't sure about being able to make it back up, so reluctantly quit at that point.

Matt mentioned seeing Sutter Butts, Shasta, Brokeoff and Lassen. I wish I had a clue about what I was looking at -- all I know is I'm looking at spectacular views of the sides of mountains, and the creek and highway, way down below!

I don't know anything about horses either, but I'm pretty certain there's no way you could do this trail on a horse. (( And there was no evidence of a horse having been on that trail yesterday). I've heard of people doing it on dirt bikes, but I don't believe that either.

Nice mountain climb outside of the Sierras, it's a much better view of the valley. On this fairly clear day I could see the Sutter Butts, and Shasta, Brokeoff and Lassen peaks, even though the whole valley appeared to be on fire. The trail is pretty steep and rocky, and washed out in many places, including one landslide. Apparently people try it on horses, and while I don't know anything about horses, I don't really see how it would be possible.
Once you cross the concrete bridge the trail is up and to the left along the dirt road. At the close side of the clearing you get to there is a Blue Ridge Trail sign next to the trail going up into the trees.
Also, with no wind it's hot even in 70 degrees, I wouldn't even try this trail in summer. On a random Wednesday in January there was nobody else there, not even in the parking lot. The $6 "Pay here" box was broken and the "Closed for winter" gate was open, so it looks like they just don't maintain the place in winter since apparently nobody goes there, but, whatever, it's a nice trail.

Just completed this hike today. The road is closed as it looked like the bridge is in real bad shape. The trail is clearly marked and is well maintained (except for a fallen tree blocking the start). It's definitely a steep climb up but once you get to the top there is an awesome view! Not sure how much further it goes but could go for a while. Lots of poison oak so watch your step.