Ferndell Trail to the Griffith Observatory

Ferndell Trail to the Griffith Observatory is a 2.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Los Angeles, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Ferndell (AKA Fern Dell) is a woodsy glen at the lower end of Western Canyon in Griffith Park. Your destination is the historic Griffith Observatory.

Not really I hike, but a really pretty stroll with great opportunities for pictures. A nice start to a trail that leads up to the observatory.

My friend just recently showed me this hike and I ended up back again two more times that week! It is a great workout because the whole first leg up is uphill til the Observatory. On the way down, I branched off to the right at the 0.6 mark and come down that part of the trail because it is easier on my knees. If you want to make the workout a little more challenging then, turn around and head up again.. you will feel so accomplished with those 4 miles and might be inspired to head up a third time?!

If you're from LA or visiting LA you just have to do this trail! It's super easy,good workout and the view is amazing once you reach the top!

Cool little trail perfect for my 7yrl. Good workout on the way up and that little Creek on the other side of the trail is so nice and has plenty to see. I love how it has clean bathrooms at the beginning and top of the hike, very necessary for my 7 months pregnant self :)

Nice easy hike. Better crowd than Runyon

A go to spot since Runyon is temp. Closed.
My first time here and we went all the way up to Griffith observatory. Beautiful view when you get to the top.
I liked that it's not boring, it's gives you a bit of a heart pump on some of the walks up.

loved it coming here alot more often

I parked by the cafe and went up the trail to the left of the men's room. There are two options and I like one to the left because it's steep. Lots of incline on the way up takes about twenty minutes to reach the Observatory and then we headed back down. The way back is easy and we took the opposite trail heading down we went to the left. On a sunny day it gets hot and there's no shade. Rewarding views of the city and you can explore the Observatory at the top!

Great

Highly recommended...especially when, a tropical stroll, through a lush green creek could just do the trick...;)

Fun area. More of a park, less of a trail. Unique and worth 1/2 hr or more to explore.

This is a lovely walk along a lush stream and lots of trees. Hard to believe you are in the middle of a big city! There is a playground and a fantastic cafe called Trails. Great for families or a nice getaway from the city hustle and bustle.