Fern Truck Trail to Brown Mountain Road

Fern Truck Trail to Brown Mountain Road is a 10.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Altadena, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This s a very exposed fire road with little to no shade. You can hike this trail but the majority of people using this trail are mountain bikers, so watch out hiking!

Hiking in this area was great fun, lots of water, practically devoid of people and a wide variety of terrain. However I would caution that almost all the trails we tried to follow or find have been eroded beyond recognition. GPS is one of the only ways to keep yourself on track and even with that help we still managed to miss our original trail on the way out which lead us to the top of the first waterfall with no way down. There are obvious trails not appearing on maps that even include posts and other signs of human placed objects only to abruptly stop due to massive landslides and erosion. Workers were clearing the trails maybe only a few miles out from the campground which leaves the rest I'm assuming all the way up to the firebreak road very difficult to navigate. I say I assume because we didn't make it very far past Dawn Mine due to debris and most of our day spent trying to find a trail and failing many times leaving us to slide down dirt hills more times than I care to admit. And good luck finding the small trail near Dawn Mine that leads out of the stream bed and runs the ridge to the East because I don't think it exists anymore. To be sure this area is really fun to hike and I recommend bumming around the area but don't expect to go faster than .8 mph or make it very far.

I actually went through it on a hike .. Thought it was a great little space to camp out. Rustic old buildings around it and a waterfall.. Minus water because of the drought .. Not far .. Couple different trails to hike.

Coming off El Prieto and Angeles Crest trail onto this trail seemed like a let down. This is more of an exposed section of trail with some overgrowth that actually gives a little shade. For runners, take in the early morning or late afternoon, less traffic. I turned on my Salsa and exercise music skipping most of the way down and getting a better workout than just jogging it or running it. I used it as a rest period attaching it to the Grabrielino Trail to the water falls . If you are looking for a rest period on a longer run, here it is....

Went to the campground, but the trail is closed there. It looks like it should have recovered from the Station fire on 2009 by now. Hiked to the waterfall via Sunrise Trail.