Fern Lake Trail

Fern Lake Trail is a 3.2 mile out and back trail located near June Lake, CA that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Beautiful hike to a gorgeous waterfall and onto Fern Lake. We took our 5 and 7 year olds on this hike. It was tough but worth it!

Awesome short workout! Great views near the top...worth the climb. We did not pass anybody on the way up and only 2 people on the way out : )

Short and lots of work but worth it.

Great views

Beautiful scenery...dog friendly

Heaven

great fishing

Not an experienced hiker yet! Went with some friends and one of their dogs helped pull me up lol. Beautiful views up there, I had to take many breaks but I made it up. It was pretty windy at the top, got chilly. Careful on the way down, there's loose little rocks in some places and I slipped and skinned my knuckles.

Great hike!

Steep! But I'm pushing 50 and I made it. I was the first person up to the lake this morning and I had it all to myself. It's jaw dropping beautiful. It's worth the effort. I even saw deer on the way up. I didn't use my hiking stick on the way up but on the way down it provided an extra measure of safety, I was glad I had it with me. I stopped a few times, I felt the altitude, I live at sea level. But I made it!

Amazing hike today! Views insane.. 2/3 of trail covered with snow & gorgeous.

Beautiful scenery as you climb through the aspens into the Ansel Adams wilderness. Hard steady climb all the way for 1.7 miles. Reward is a beautiful lake set at the base of a majestic range of mountain peaks.

Even with all of the recent rain, the trail is in great shape. Beware of dogs off-leash. I've lived in this area for almost ten years, and this was my first time up to the lake. BEAUTIFUL. Yes, it's steep. Get over it. It's worth the hike.

Amazing. A true must .... yeah it's very uphill, but that really is the worst of it.

My dog Andy and I hiked up to Fern Lake on a brisk mid-October morning and had a great time. About an hour up and another hour down. It's not a hard trail, just walking uphill. The lake itself is pristine and we had it all to ourselves for the three hours we stayed. My dog jumped in and swam in the water chasing sticks. He had as much fun as I did. I highly recommend it.

This was a great hike. Uphill, yes but not nearly as difficult as I was lead to believe! Snow on the upper trail made for a somewhat slippery hike when it was time to go down. The views in every direction are majestic!

Steepest trail I have ever been on. A mile of unrelenting uphill hiking at a steep grade. Very rewarding hike, since the lake is absolutely incredible!