Ewoldsen Trail

Ewoldsen Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Big Sur, CA that features a river. The trail is rated as difficult and primarily used for hiking.

You've got your old growth redwood forest, scrub landscapes, sweeping canyon and ocean views, and a nice bit of elevation gain. If you only have one day to see the sites, this trail is a good complement to the McWay Falls trail that also starts from the same parking area.

Nice trail with lots of great views. I wouldn't say it was strenuous though. More moderate, just lots of uphill.

Absolutely beautiful! One of the best hikes I have ever been on.

great hike through beautiful scenery. view from the ridge of the water is awesome. be aware of the fog...or you may be disappointed when you get to the top.

Incredible views of the ocean. I got poison oak of this trail so be careful

Great hike, half shaded, the other half gets hot. Beautiful trail!

Sept 2014 - This is a challenging hike with a spectacular payoff: unrivaled views of the iconic cliffsides. The fauna is fantastic. I only ding it for being a bit monotonous at times; large portions are chalk full of switchbacks that can feel repetitive and get old quickly. Still, the views and the trees make this hike worth the effort. [4/5]

A challenging hike with amazing pay-off! We went counter-clockwise around the loop and took the spur at the top of the loop. Most hikers skip this spur so you have one of the most amazing vistas all to yourself. Feels like the top of the world - the ocean stretches out below you for days and days. Love love love!

Amazing coastal views!! Challenging hike that is worth the effort.

I did it on 7/6/14. Overall it was a nice trail. The total for me was a little over 4miles. From the the parking lot. I don't know where they got 6.1. Maybe I took a wrong turn somewhere. Anyways, it's a good trail. I would hike it again.

Absolutely beautiful. The hardest hike I've been on to date, the rapid altitude change kicked my ass but it was 100% worth it. The mix of views was fantastic, the long stretches of redwoods were complimented by views of the river/creek thing. At times you could look down into the valley at the tops of the trees you had passed just a half a mile back. Once you got to the top and you turned around one of the bends there was a gorgeous view of the ocean and you realized just how far up you were. Very humbling, and some much needed encouragement to keep going. I had to stop and rest quite a bit but the atmosphere made my experience wonderful. I would go back in a heartbeat, if only to regain that feeling of being "lost" in such a beautiful representation of our home in its very nearly pure state.

So good! Difficult but so beautiful!