Eureka Dunes

Eureka Dunes is a 3.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Big Pine, CA and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from October until May.

From a photographers point of view, I found Mesquite sand dunes much more photogenic, I guess from a hiking point of view these might be cooler, definitely more of a challenge with the height of the dunes. The road there was worse then the road to the racetrack, even for my SUV. Not sure I would do again, going here will take a whole day, plan accordingly

We hiked Mesquite and Eureka Dunes (with my three young boys... 5, 8 and 9) - We did Eureka first, then Mesquite. They thought Mesquite was lame in comparison. It is a rough drive to get there - truck or SUV is recommended, as it is 45 miles of washboard to get there, but once there, you have the dunes practically to yourself. This is a low-traffic corner of the park (due to difficulty to get there), but I personally think it is one of the gems of the park for that very reason. Went in March - weather was probably 80 degrees, but the sand warmed it up a bit. Bring water and a good hat!

Great up-close view of dunes--the really high ones are a bit of a hike from the road. You can see lots of animal tracks in the sand. Bring water if you plan to walk any distance into the dunes. It gets hot!