Ernie Maxwell Scenic Trail

Ernie Maxwell Scenic Trail is a 4.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy family hike, lovely forested trail, great views of Tahquitz/Suicide Rock This is a perfect setting for a leasurly family hike. The trail acends very gently from the south end of Idyllwild to Humber Park, passing through a wonderful dense forest of pines. As you approach Humber Park, spectacular views of Suicide and Tahquitz rocks come in to view. Once you reach Humber Park, walk up the road a few hundred yards to the Devil's Slide Trail head and find a peaceful spot for a picnic lunch. If you still have some energy left, hike a half mile or so up the Devil's Slide trail for unbelievable views of both Tahquitz and Suicide rock. Return the way you came.

This is a beautiful, rolling trail that winds across the mountainside through a variegated forest of Ponderosa pine, fir, Western red cedar (or hemlock - I'm bad at telling them apart), and both evergreen and deciduous oaks along with manzanita shrubs wherever the sun pokes through. There is parking at the end the app sends you to as a trailhead, but it's alongside a dirt road and is quite limited. If you use the parking lot at the park, be sure you remember your Adventure Pass as it's National Forest and I did see a ranger there. If, like me, you forget your pass, there are places just outside the park where you can squeeze your vehicle onto the side of the road to park before you hit the steep edge. The trail does have some elevation change, though in the low hundreds of feet. The lower end is at the dirt road, so if you use the parking lot be prepared for a gentle climb on the way back. Footing is decomposed granite, though this is indeed mountain hiking so there are occasionally clusters of small boulders to navigate around. If you have weak ankles or just want to be on the safe side, hiking boots might be advisable. Most of the trail is smooth, though. For the same reason, although the trail allows horses this is really a spot for trail horses and not a weekend trail ride for a show horse. Finally, remember to bring plenty of water - there is no running water at either parking area although the park has pit toilets - and don't forget that even in the shade, at over 4,000 feet in Southern California the sun is very strong. Sunscreen is still a good idea for those who are sensitive to the sun.

Great trail with pretty much shade everywhere,which is great for dogs !

My family of 7 loved this hike! Perfect for my children. We have 5 children under 10. The baby was on my back and I felt sturdy on the trail carrying her. My only criticism is that the APP took us to the end of the trail to start where there wasn't parking. We made it work but found out from other hikers that it's easier to start at the other end.

Beautiful, shady trail!

Planned to mtn. Bike, sign at the trailhead says no biking.

Great easy hike.

Great for a beginner like me

really enjoyed the hike but sadly, I thought I was on devil's slide, ooops. I did hike up devil's slide for about 40 minutes after, but that one will have to wait.

but this was a great warm-up for today is deer spring trail, tomorrow back to devil slide, the real one this time.

Easy with beautiful scenery

So, I was in Idyllwild today to get our Wilderness Permit for tomorrow's hike on the Devils Slide Trail to Tahquitz Peak Lookout. Drove up to the trailhead to walk around a little bit, then decided to explore the Ernie Maxwell Scenic Trail. I ended up making it a 4 mile hike. This was a nice little trail. It's 2.6 miles one way. The trail is pretty much half shaded and half sun. At around 1145 in the morning it was close to 90 degrees. The sun was hot and so was the breeze while in the sun. However, in the shade it felt about 15 degrees cooler and the breeze felt great. Starting this hike from Humber Park means you pretty much go down for the first part of the hike and up for the return leg. Bugs and Horse Flys were abundant on the trail due to the heat, so use bug spray if you go. Great easy family hike!

It was nice and had shade. Really nice.

Heavily traveled with an anti-climactic end at a parking lot. The views from the middle of the trail were fantastic though.

we had a great time we went 2 days in a row live right down the mountain, first day brought my eight-month-old on my back, second day brought my six year old she loved it. went all the way it's a beautiful trail.

Easy but beautiful hike. Not to hard.

Super nice hike. My girlfriend and I hiked the kiddos on our backs, and dogs on the leashes. We went late spring and saw beautiful yellow and purple flowers. Plenty of shade as well. Over all beautiful hike, and not too steep of an incline either. Dog and family friendly.

nice walk 2.5 hrs round trip.

Kicked my butt, lol. I'm so out of shape. Did hike in 2.5 hrs. Parked at Hubber park parking lot, hiked down to bottom of trail, then hiked back up. We went in group of 4 persons; 2 adults, an 8 yr. old and a 7 yr. old. The hike up was a challenge, because 60% felt like a steady incline. Im sure this is an easy trail for many persons that are not so out of shape. I'd suggest parking at the trail head at the bottom of the hill and hike up, so return hike is mostly downhill.

Easy day hike through heavily wooded forest. Manzanitas were in bloom and the views were spectacular. Inspiring views of Marion Ridge, Suicide Rock, and Lily Rock. On a clear day you can see almost to the Pacific. This is one of the best beginner mountain hikes in the region.