Elfin Forest Olivenhain Reserve Loop Trail

Elfin Forest Olivenhain Reserve Loop Trail is a 10.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Escondido, CA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from October until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

10.3 miles 1935 feet Loop

whitewater kayaking

It was a nice trail with a gradual incline. Nice view throughout the trail

my favorite local hike

Great hike.

I can't wait to tackle this hike again when I'm better equipped. And more knowledgable. I decided, after not looking at the map, to do the way up trail. After not hiking in over a year, my @$$ was handed to me. And I'm in decent shape. But the steepness definitely through me off. Make sure you bring enough water. Like, a lot. One large bottle for my dog and I was not enough. I ended up carrying her the last 15 minutes down the mountain. I found myself stopping frequently on this trail to catch my breath, blaming my dog as people walked by seeing me relaxing in the shade... "Oh she's just a puppy, she needs to catch her breath." Really, it was me. So bring your water. Really beautiful surroundings, can't wait to complete all of the hikes Elfin Forest has to offer!

Steep and hot but beautiful views at the top!

An all around good hike!

This trail was a great work out friendly people and interesting to walk through the botanical garden... Also if you take this way down you have to cross the little river to get back to the entrance it is fun!

Love this trail!

My boyfriend and I just moved near by, and we stopped in to check it out. It was amazing! The botanical loop trail is short but super sweet. Every where you look is nature and wildlife. The running creek is fun to cross and there's a little stone bench you may stop to relax and experience all of the lush landscape. I can't wait to go back when it's not 90° and experiemce the way up trail.

Trail was fun. Lots of rocks so be aware of how you place your feet. There isn't much shade up at the top, so earlier the better. Free parking was nice!

Good early morning exercise. Fun to run down.

Some decent climbs and cool views.

Very nice views. Moderate is the perfect description for this trail. It does get a little tougher the higher you go and the heat doesn't help. Take plenty of water!

It's ok. Nothing special.

We only did the Way Up Trail and then the botanical garden trail back to the start. It was fun! It was steep but nice!

This is a great place to hike in North San Diego County, but very crowded on the weekends!! One of the best things about the Elfin Forest Preserve is by hiking up to the top you will have a beautiful view of the Olivenhain Dam. Once at the top there are a few different trails options. Head to the east on Lake Hodges Overlook trail and you will have a view of both Lake Hodges and Olivenhain Reservoir. So blessed to live where we have beautiful weather and amazing places to enjoy the outdoors!

nice hike for the family