Elfin Forest Olivenhain Reserve Loop Trail

Elfin Forest Olivenhain Reserve Loop Trail is a 10.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Escondido, CA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from October until December. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

whitewater kayaking

Fun trails, well maintained, natural terrain, not crowded, beautiful views

Nice local trail looping around Olivenhain Reservior. Enough trail to get a good workout (10 miles) and variety of trails for families (2 miles to a chair.) Dog friendly with off-leash legal after 1 mile in!

Truth be told when I tried this hike back in the spring, I made it about half way up and gave up. Take note: I am about 140lbs overweight, sadly. So, finally this fall I decided I would tackle it again. I have lost 20lbs (so far) from hiking and cutting calories. I have hiked this trail 4 times now within a three week time frame. As an overweight gal, I burn well over 1500 calories on this trail. My 3 yr old Bichon Frise goes with me every time. I love the friendly people, I like it when the mountain bikers actually do have bells. I do stop about 5-7 times going up but the hike up is worth it.

I had never hiked before and decided to take my daughters on this hike, at the suggestion of my Ironman friend, who will remain nameless. We did the mile straight up and then decided to follow a path that went way out into the hot sunny desert with miles of switchbacks and no end in sight. We kept spotting people on clifflike trails far off in the distance. We would point and say OMG THANK GOD that is not us and then an hour later there we were. Finally, we passed a woman and her dog JOGGING and she said we only had another few switchbacks to get to the top. After stopping in the doggy graveyard we had to go all the way down again. It was a great hike but hot and dry and loooonger than I had thought. Not great trail markers at the time I went.

loved this hike

It was a nice trail with a gradual incline. Nice view throughout the trail

my favorite local hike

Great hike.

I can't wait to tackle this hike again when I'm better equipped. And more knowledgable. I decided, after not looking at the map, to do the way up trail. After not hiking in over a year, my @$$ was handed to me. And I'm in decent shape. But the steepness definitely through me off. Make sure you bring enough water. Like, a lot. One large bottle for my dog and I was not enough. I ended up carrying her the last 15 minutes down the mountain. I found myself stopping frequently on this trail to catch my breath, blaming my dog as people walked by seeing me relaxing in the shade... "Oh she's just a puppy, she needs to catch her breath." Really, it was me. So bring your water. Really beautiful surroundings, can't wait to complete all of the hikes Elfin Forest has to offer!

Steep and hot but beautiful views at the top!

An all around good hike!

This trail was a great work out friendly people and interesting to walk through the botanical garden... Also if you take this way down you have to cross the little river to get back to the entrance it is fun!

Love this trail!

My boyfriend and I just moved near by, and we stopped in to check it out. It was amazing! The botanical loop trail is short but super sweet. Every where you look is nature and wildlife. The running creek is fun to cross and there's a little stone bench you may stop to relax and experience all of the lush landscape. I can't wait to go back when it's not 90° and experiemce the way up trail.

Trail was fun. Lots of rocks so be aware of how you place your feet. There isn't much shade up at the top, so earlier the better. Free parking was nice!

Good early morning exercise. Fun to run down.

Some decent climbs and cool views.