Echo Mountain via Sam Merrill Trail

Echo Mountain via Sam Merrill Trail is a 5.5 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Altadena, California that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I would have given this hike a five star review if it weren't for the huge crowds of people. This place was super busy and at at times a bit dangerous due to the competition for space on the trail. I thought the tourist areas at Griffith Park were crowded but nothing compares to what I saw today. The trail is a nice well maintained trail with great views of the city below. Unfortunately the day we went the clouds took over the top of the mountain blocking the panoramic views at the higher elevation. A perfect day for this hike is obviously during the week and on a clearer not too hot day.

Loved the trail.. moderate for me.. great work out.. nice freaking view.. good thing it rained last week, the scenery is very nice with luscious green tree below..

I really enjoyed this hike. Great views and definitely worth the climb.

Clean trail. Traffic seems to increase in the afternoon. Overall, worth the views and the history. Perfect hike for a picnic, as there are multiple picnic areas at the top.

This trail is probably best for intermediate level hikers, but worth a try for any skill level

The good... It is beautiful, well traveled, well maintained, and has some historical significance. The bad... It can get crowded, and hearing people scream into the echo-phone gets pretty irritating. My wife and I use this to follow through on up to Inspiration Point via Castle Canyon.

My wife and I enjoyed Echo Mountain. It was certainly a strenuous 2.5 mile hike on the way up, but going down is simple. Great views of downtown Los Angeles, Glendale, and Burbank. The treat is on top when you discover the abandoned railway. Signs give you a nice history lesson of the area. A great place to reconnect!

Today I hiked with the Hike Beyond the Hills Crew. We hiked the Sam Merrill Trail to Echo Mountain and then continued up to Inspiration Point making this an 11.95 mile hike with an elevation gain of 3389'. This was the groups second annual Santa Hat Hike. Fun day and great hiking.

great

Excellent trail after the rain! Easy to imagine it being more difficult on a hot day without shades along the trail. Lovely view at the top with interesting history to explore. Might be somewhat challenging for kids.

Awesome trail, we went on Dec 11, 2016 all the way up to the Muir Peak (around 13 miles roundtrip, Echo Mountain Ruins is around halfway). The echo mountain trail is beautiful by itself, but the scene at inspiration point and Muir Peak is just on another level. I'll say this trail is hard because the latter part of John Muir trail involves a lot of serious climbing and the total elevation gain is around 2800 feet, but it is definitely worth it.

Great quick hike with awesome views. Did this hike on a rainy day (which made for even better views... Crazy clouds!) but I imagine it might be too crowded on a nice day.

Sunday Nov 27 2016 started hiking towards echo mountain at 7:15 am it was raining and cold wind but worth it made it to the top at 8:25 am and it was really bone chilling windy.it was at 41 degrees Fahrenheit .I spended 15min on the top and,had no choice to head back my hands were numb but like I said it was worth it i'll be back again and again and beyond to inspiration point....

Beautiful!

It is a beautiful place.. but just be a little careful if you are afraid of heights