Eagle Peak Loop

Eagle Peak Loop is a 7.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Clayton, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

The lush greenery of Mitchell Canyon leads to an invigorating climb to Eagle Peak (2,369'), a favorite of local hikers. Everybody loves to visit the summit of Mount Diablo, but many seasoned San Francisco Bay Area hikers prefer this hike to Eagle Peak via Mitchell Canyon, which takes in all the features that make Mount Diablo State Park unique. Mitchell Canyon is shady with abundant wildflowers in the spring; Eagle Peak culminates a rugged hike to jaw-dropping vistas of the East Bay and surrounding terrain. On a clear winter day you might be able to spot the snow-capped peaks of the Sierra Madre.

After doing this loop a few times, my preference is doing the trail in reverse from what is recommended. The ascent up mitchell rock / eagle peak might might be harder, but I prefer it to the rocky steep descent.

Great hike with a nice rake...

Eagle peak trail was awesome. Great views.

It was challenging and beautiful views!

Should have a) started earlier and b) brought more water. Hardly any other people on a mid-week hike, but by noon it was hot.

It was a somewhat challenging hike rewarded with nice views. I would go again.

I liked it. It was a nice little challenge and there were swarms of lady bugs which was very cool.

Amazing

I agree with Britney, it was more like 8miles. I think we did just about the same route u said and ours calculated to 6miles ish(but we did several short cuts that lead us back to the main trail). It was deffinatly INTENSE! But an amazeing workout and beautiful views. We will be doing it again for sure!

TOTAL for me was 8 miles. NOT 3.6 loop. Maybe I took the long way?
Parked in lot (signage says $6 to pay, and also that it closes at sunset)
All trails are easy to identify, well worn. I Headed south on trail marked Mitchell Canyon Road, took it up to Deer Flats, (about 2.5 miles from the start, moderate trail to this point, and a beautiful view here) then continued east on Meridian Ridge road towards Eagle Peak. From deer flats to eagle peak was much more strenuous, and about 2 more miles to the peak. This part of the trail is where it narrows, not a widely paved as the rest of the trail, and the elevation gain is more significant.
I continued on the narrow trail from Eagle Peak towards twin peaks (north, about 3/4 a mile?), and the trail from there winds back down the mountain to the parking lot pretty quickly. From twin peaks to the parking lot was a steep 2 miles, give or take.
So there it is. I enjoyed it, only saw 2 other people, had perfect sunny January weather, and the views at the top were beautiful- I got to eagle peak/twin peaks right around sunset and it was so peaceful.

It was had for me considering I have never done something like that before.

Moderate 6.5 miler by combining The Eagle Peak trail with the Back Creek Trail (one of the trails recommended in the visitor center). The climb to Eagle Peak is steep 1800 fit climb over three miles. I recommend walking clock wise: this puts the best views in front of you as you summit.

Partly shady, moderate difficulty trail. Pretty narrow and steep at times. Definitely wear your hiking boots. The view from the top was worth it. Bring water for sure.

There are many loops in the area, giving you lot of possible variations on this hike, some are more difficult than others, you can start with a 4 mile moderate hike and add distance or difficulty if desired. Due to the rocky terrain and direct sunlight, this is a perfect hike for cooler temperatures or after a rain, looks like it would be a summertime heaven for rattlesnakes. Incredible views of Clayton and the surrounding areas!