Dome Trail

Dome Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Berry Creek, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

3.2 miles 1999 feet Loop

Challenging hike but well worth it. We went on Labor Day and started around 1030am. It was nice and cool under the trees but once out in the open it was really hot so bring lots of water. A few downed trees we had to climb over and soft ground in some spots so be careful. There are railings in some places but it's all worn down and I wouldn't trust putting all your weight on them. My 10 year old daughter went and I was worried at some points where it was steep and no railings but she did just fine. Lots of poison oak and overgrowth in some areas. Reaching the canyon bottom was a nice reward. Ate lunch, dipped in the water, built cairns, spotted a garter snake, and enjoyed the breathtaking beauty of nature all around us. The hike up was a killer and I had to take a lot of breaks. The ascent was steep and treacherous and the sun was beating down on us. My son in law was leading and almost stepped on a huge rattler sunbathing on the trail ahead of a downed tree. The rattlesnake hissed and shook it's rattlers as it slithered off the trail and we moved on. Lots of gnats flying straight for your eyes and mosquitoes buzzing in your ear so bring bug spray or a net to cover your head. My app said the hike was a total of 6.06 miles and we took a total of 3:21:39 hours but it's sometimes not very accurate. It also said the elevation gain was 1,416.5.