Discovery Trail

Discovery Trail is a 1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Bishop, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great trail to take, especially if you don't have all day, Plus the classic Bristlecone Tree shot is located here

* If there is limited time, and you need to see these ancients, this is THE TRAIL.
- You can get a quick tour of these trees quite quickly.
* We spent a whole 3 hours, slowly meandering and taking photos all along.
- It is also home to the pine alpha
* It is on the hillside with the ancient bristlecones, whereas on the opposite hill next to the visitor center is the less ancient birstlecones.
* It showcases some interesting trees, including the 'pine alpha' that Schulman found.
* It is kid friendly, we visited late October
* Be prepared for some chill winds.
* It is a fairly easy trail, under no-snow conditions.
* Further, down slope you will find teeny-tiny bristlecones on the ground, which are around 15-20 years old!

The traili tself isn't challenging, but the altitude is. As a sea level gal, I took my time at 10,000 feet. The most interesting trees are near top of the trail. This is well worth the hike. The day I went was incredibly windy. I don't know if that is normal or not, so be aware that may happen. Snow was still in the shadows in this super dry April 2015. The visiter center is only open in the summer. The drive up to the trail head was a little scary at times, but I've driven much worse.

Took my boys on the little Nature trail outside the Interpretive Center. Think it was a little over 1.5 miles. Great views of the most unique tree on Earth if you ask me!! I plan on going back and doing the Methusa trail as well as the trail up to White Mt. Just seeing the trees is crazy and the center has some really cool pictures and info on the history of the BristleCone Pine. The views of trees alone warrant a 5.

We did the 4.5 mile Methuselah trail. Beautiful! Only 800ft change in elevation. Even though it was 99 degrees in Bishop, it was only 72 degrees at Bristlecone Pines.