San Vicente Mountain: Old Nike Missile Site Trail

San Vicente Mountain: Old Nike Missile Site Trail is a 10 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Los Angeles, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

I'd say this is an easy hike. Elevation gain is only 500. Totally uncovered and I did 10.5 mi on a 100+ degree day so it had its challenges and of course was lovely. Lots of mountain bikers too but lightly trafficked with cool people.

Can be done in 2 directions with different difficulties

Nice place. Many paths to take.

Love this trail! Beautiful views on both sides. You see the valley and all the way to the ocean! Gorgeous all around!

Fun family hike!

Great

Not a bad hike. Starting off at Westridge made for a nice payoff getting to the Nike Missle spot. And coming back was all downhill! Nice views of the ocean - downtown - the valley. Super crowded but we did it on a Saturday. All that said - not a bad hike.

Perfect weather of this year. Long walk!

great!

Great off leash spot for hiking with your dog.

WOW!! This trail is freaking awesome!! I am from Colorado and used to some seriously awesome hiking. I went in with low expectations of this hike and I was completely blown away. This maybe one of my favorite trails ever! This is a must go!

The directions from the app are all jacked up it lists the address in your maps as like a range of addresses. Going to file a request to fix that. But basically you just go to the end of Mulholland Drive and you will see a dirt road. If you park there you can walk up to the Missile Landmark. You can also keep driving all of the way up to the Missile Landmark, up to you. I don't like to wear on my car so I just parked it and walked it for the extra exersize also.

Once up there you will have a lot to look at. The people that say the Missile Landmark isn't anything special are insane, it's super cool! There are tables, bathrooms and even telescopes. From this point there are like 5 to 10 different trails you can take. I could seriously get lost here for a while just exploring all of the different trails. The views are awesome also.. as you hike around you get different views which is great because you get to see all around as you hike around instead of just one direction at the top.

If you own a mountain bike, go here! I ran on the mountain bike trails because they were more intense and I could only imagine how fun it would be on a bike. Makes me want to go buy one just for this place!

Seriously.. go check it out! You will not be disappointed.

Side notes.. Dogs are definitely welcome and kids. However, if you bring kids I would stay off the steeper trails as they can get a little intense for the little ones. However, there is usually a easier way that runs parallel to the steeper parts so if you have the kids just take that route!

Happy Hiking!

I am nursing a bad knee so I thought this would be interesting and easy....which it was! Maybe I built up my expectations a bit too much on this one. Most of the photos people have posted for this hike are of other nearby trails, so I kinda felt jobbed when I just went a ways up a service road. It is wider than the street I live on and was to the top in no time. The missile base is interesting, but not much there. What saves this hike is the outstanding view that you get of just about every inch of Los Angeles!

This is a easy hike with little to see from the fire and DWP roads other than spectacular views of Los Angeles and the San Fernando Valley. Great tracks for bikers.

As another reviewer noted, you can drive all the way up to the missile site these days but that kills most of the fun...

Instead try parking below (dirt lot, open until 9), walking to the site (restrooms & running water for a stop) and then head out left and left again. You'll wrap around for another mile or so, get a great view of a distant downtown and can return directly or loop even further.

All said, it's pretty easy terrain although you can reverse parts to give yourself more of a climb and definitely rack up miles. Fully exposed so prepare for serious sun.

i'm completely new to mountain biking and this was the first trail i did. it was challenging as a newbie, but it was definitely fun! at first it's a slight incline up and then there's a lot of downhill. there was one segment that had a lot of dips (that might be scary going down for a beginner), but it was still really fun!