EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Dipsea Trail to Steep Ravine Trail Loop from Pantoll

Dipsea Trail to Steep Ravine Trail Loop from Pantoll is a 3.8 mile loop trail located near Mill Valley, CA that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips.

A nice loop in Mount Tamalpais State Park This hike includes great views of the Bay Area, Marin Headlands, the Golden Gate, Potato Patch, and down the San Mateo Coastline. As the walk progresses the trails will head into Redwood Forest, and drop - really drop - down into the heart of Steep Ravine. The trails become a series of stairs immediately adjacent to a seasonal creek. In some spots it's surely underwater during storms. Once in Steep Ravine it's all uphill back to the Ranger Station. The trail criss-crosses the creek repeatedly looking for space for itself, regularly climbs more steps, and a short ladder next to a waterfall in the quest to gain altitude. The reward is one of the best Redwood Canyons around.

I didn't do the entire loop because I got a late start. I parked at the Pan Toll Ranger station and walked along the Dipsea Trail a bit, beautiful views. Then I took Steep Ravine Trail down to the "ladder" and a bit beyond that, then turned and went back to the Ranger station. Another hiker I passed on the way told me that you can take the trail all the way to Stinson Beach and there is a bus that will take you back to Pan Toll Ranger Station, or you can hike the Matt Davis Trail back. I will try that next time.

Sign said ladder was broke but when I got there it was brand new!