Dipsea Trail to Steep Ravine Trail Loop from Pantoll

Dipsea Trail to Steep Ravine Trail Loop from Pantoll is a 3.8 mile loop trail located near Mill Valley, CA that features a waterfall. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and nature trips.

A nice loop in Mount Tamalpais State Park This hike includes great views of the Bay Area, Marin Headlands, the Golden Gate, Potato Patch, and down the San Mateo Coastline. As the walk progresses the trails will head into Redwood Forest, and drop - really drop - down into the heart of Steep Ravine. The trails become a series of stairs immediately adjacent to a seasonal creek. In some spots it's surely underwater during storms. Once in Steep Ravine it's all uphill back to the Ranger Station. The trail criss-crosses the creek repeatedly looking for space for itself, regularly climbs more steps, and a short ladder next to a waterfall in the quest to gain altitude. The reward is one of the best Redwood Canyons around.

I love this trail. I start from the Muir Woods parking lot and do the loop. It's a beautiful trail, accessible year around, can be slippery in spots when it's raining.

Started at Pantoll campgrounds w steep ravine trail which met up w dipsea. Took dipsea to Stinson beach. Hiked back up dipsea to old mine trail that led us back to Pantol. A few stairs going up dipsea!(not for a beginner). And being somewhat motivated is a plus to conquer these stairs. Overall a GREAT hike!!! Loved it! Will do this one again!!!

This is a great, intermediate level trail. Most of the route is a mild down grade out and upgrade back up it seems. If you are looking to add about an hour to your hike then adding a leg to Stinson Beach is awesome. This one is best done earlier in the day as you will be deep in the woods so it gets dark fast. There is also a lot to see so you don't want to feel rush to beat the day light.

I didn't do the entire loop because I got a late start. I parked at the Pan Toll Ranger station and walked along the Dipsea Trail a bit, beautiful views. Then I took Steep Ravine Trail down to the "ladder" and a bit beyond that, then turned and went back to the Ranger station. Another hiker I passed on the way told me that you can take the trail all the way to Stinson Beach and there is a bus that will take you back to Pan Toll Ranger Station, or you can hike the Matt Davis Trail back. I will try that next time.

Sign said ladder was broke but when I got there it was brand new!