Dipsea Trail from Muir Woods to Stinson Beach

Dipsea Trail from Muir Woods to Stinson Beach is a 9.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mill Valley, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

The Dipsea Trail (or the Ben Johnson Trail) through Muir Woods National Monument to Stinson Beach is an amazing trail through the famous California redwoods.

Love love love this trail. It is intense.

I guess we did the "Double Dipsea" though it was unclear where the true trailhead was so we started from the Muir Woods Visitor Center extended parking lot (free for hikers). We hiked down to Stinson beach and back. Took lots of photos along the trail and even enjoyed our packed lunches at the park. Overall time about 6:30hrs, and AllTrails clocked us with just under 12 miles. The first 3hrs of the trail was a bit muddy and rainy, we were both soaked! Come prepared. It was so beautiful though, especially with the mist! Can't wait to do it again. Tip: Pay attention to the trail markers! The Dipsea crossed with several other trails along the way.

Amazing

We took the Dipsea Trail out of Stinson Beach to Muir Woods then to Muir Beach. All those steps definitely woke me up first thing in the morning. It was a steep hike for the first hour or two going in this direction. It was absolutely beautiful. I felt like once we were at the top of the ridge we were winding up through a magical redwood forest before we saw other hikers. We hooked up with the Ben Johnson trial to get further in to Muir woods. We came upon a lot of other people at that point. It's an amazing trail.

A really good trail. Great way to spend the day. Lots of activities on both end either at Muir Woods or Stinson and you can take Steep Ravine back to break up the monotony of an out-n-back.

Loved it but the last part is hard on the knees.Take a map and a lot of water.

Loved the trail and the ocean view...

The trail is relatively flat and there were some good sights but it was tiring.

Picking up the Dipsea Trail at Muir Woods is a great option because the parking is free and pretty safe as well as mostly shaded plus it is such a beautiful area. The trail is in good condition, steep in parts but very doable even for the occasional hiker. Bring protection from the sun even on cloudy days. The trail is usually wide and when you get to Stinson Beach lots of places to eat and shop. Highly recommend.

This was my 1st hike ever and I completed the double bipsea. It was super tough and challenging both physically and mentally. I will definitely go again. I loved the cool drizzle in the morning.

Beautiful views make the hills worthwhile, with a finish at the beach!

Tough going in places but loved the views and finished the day at the Parkside Cafe and a quick walk over to the beach. Be prepared to do major hill work.