Dipsea Steep Ravine Matt Davis Loop Trail from Pantoll

Dipsea Steep Ravine Matt Davis Loop Trail from Pantoll is a 6.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Stinson Beach, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

Whoa, beautiful from Dipsea to Steep Ravine the ocean views are an amazing start. Then, to Steep Ravine which is just that & great as the middle of the hike to get your blood really pumping and then to finish with Matt Davis was nice. I didn't care for the switchbacks in the Redwoods on Matt Davis though I was ready to just get it all over with, but it was nice that it was all downhill from there. I agree with other reviewers this trail is 12km, or roughly 7.5 miles long it also took me about 3 hours. I started it late and when I finished the sun had set. If you plan this trail mid afternoon bring a headlamp and flashlight.

This is actually 12 km. Took me three hours, but I was rushed since I went at the end of the day. This is one of the best hikes I have ever done. I went during the week during the daytime and I was pretty much alone the entire trail. It was amazing to hear the water flow and the sound of the woods, instead of people talking. The smell of the redwoods are so strong half of the trail and it was sooooo nice! The views are spectacular too. In all, this is now one of my favourite hikes ever!!!

I loved this trail I don't think it's hard at all, maybe the last 1.5 miles if you start from Matt Davis trail.

Great hike to the campgrounds above then back down.

Good trail! Nobody calls it Pantoll trail though! There's an amazing grassy hilly area, perfect for photo ops.

Excellent trail, well worth the effort! We tried parking up top by the campground but found the lot to be full at 10am on a Saturday in April. Fortunately we only had to go a half mile or so away to find parking along the road which was fine. We hiked down to find the Matt Davis trail (not "Sam Davis" as listed in the AllTrails description) and took the loop counterclockwise down to Stinson Beach.

Consider parking in town and going clockwise. The climb up that way is almost completely wooded and seemed to be a gradual 4 miles. Another mile and you'll reach stunning views of San Francisco and then the Pacific on your way down to Stinson.

Another note -- technically it is the Dipsea Trail not the Steep Ravine Trail. We followed signs for Steep Ravine, leaving the Dipsea, but decided to backtrack once we realized that leaving the Dipsea would cut off a substantial part of our hike. Glad we did. Hope this helps!

Great hike, but the rangers are a little puzzles when you call it "pantoll loop". It's technically the Sam Davis>>Dipsea>>Steep Ravine loop. Each section is really special. Doing the trails in that order is great when you want the warmth of the open hillside on Sam Davis in the morning, and the cool of Steep Ravine once the sun is high

Nice campground for beginner campers. Running public water and toilets. Car close by for car camping. Fire pit and grill. Awesome views of the coast line depending on the trail you hike. Nice easy and back but also some challenging hikes along The Dipsea Trail for the more serious hiker or trail runner.