Old Briones Road Trail

Old Briones Road Trail is a 3.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lafayette, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Connect Diablo View/Spengler/Old Briones Road/Pine Tree/Orchard Trail for a pleasant 4.6 mile loop that has views of Mt. Diablo and the John Muir Nature Area

Nice loop options, shade, sun, hills, views. Beautiful place!

Instead of going out and back on the Briones Road Trail, I made a loop by going up to the Mott Peak Trail and the down to the Abrigo Valley Trail. This way I made the hike a bit invigorating and a little more interesting. Total distance was 4.4 miles with elevation 709 feet. It was still a moderate hike. For detail please my recorded track.

Briones was my go to hiking area close to the house for a decade. Great place to hike in the winter and spring. Not uncommon to see a few deer and the last time i was there in june I saw a Coyote about 200 yards away. We were peeking at each other through some trees... It was one of my training areas to do a few backpacking trips.

Excellent trail. It's fun to see the cows. I'd like go to again when the grass is green.

Mix of bush and open spaces, great views

Easy short hike, under 2 hours. Nice scenery, some steep inclines and declines but not entirely uphill the entire time :) It was cool to hang out with the cows in the field, but mind the cow poop all over the trail too. Our hike turned into a game of dodging poop for a while there, which was not in the least pleasant!

Great trail but got hit by a downpour up on the ridge. Other than that lots of fun

Great for a Sunday morning trail! Steep 2-3 and decent 2-3.

I Love it out here for trail running and rucking!

Great trail! Had equal parts of lush, shaded areas with lots of trees and open areas with no shade whatsoever. The hike was medium steepness so it was perfect for beginner hikers like myself. Always bring lots of water, sunblock and light food and youre good to go! Have fun!

I needed an easy trail to take some friends and get them started in hiking. This was the ticket. I use my phone to track the hike and upload it to this site. We stopped after a couple of hours and had a nice lunch under a nice tree. The son of my friend had a great time climbing the tree and even got me up for a moment. The rest of the way was full of great conversation and beautiful sights.

Drive to the top of Old Briones Road and it's an easy hike along a fire road to an open field area.

I bring my dog up here and she loves running off leash!! FYI, sometimes there are cattle and if your dog chases them, the farmer can shoot your dog (this is what I was told...).

Awesome views (Mothball Fleet and Mt. Diablo) and lots of places to have a picnic. Tons of trails. You could spend all day here hiking or biking.

Easy hike for kids.

OK, we got to meet some newts on this one. Anyone seen newts on their hikes?

I went backpacking in Point Reyes in December last year and they were everywhere on the way back (once it started raining). We had to watch our steps. That was also the first time I ever saw someone hiking with an umbrella...