Devil's Slide to Saddle Junction Trail

Devil's Slide to Saddle Junction Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Idyllwild, CA that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, camping, birding, and horses and is accessible from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Directions from Idyllwild, CA: Take the Fern Valley Road northeast towards Humber Park. Proceed to the parking area in Humber Park located on the east side of the community of Fern Valley.

Pretty nice trail, strenuous but not too bad, great workout.

Beautiful views; fun hike

I hiked this trail as part of my trek to Tahquitz summit. As a standalone hike to go visit the junction, it is a good one. I saw a rattlesnake on the way back, uphill from the trail and stretched out. Just a reminder to keep watch as you hike.

This trail is best hiked in the early morning hours. Sections of the trail are quite exposed. It is a great jumping off point to many trails once you reach the junction including access to the PCT.

one of my best trails, moderately hard, but the view as you go p is beautiful. once you are at the junction, there are so many other trails you can explore on.

This was my second trip up the Devil's Slide Trail. From the trailhead to Saddle Junction is about 2.66 miles. I added another 1.5 miles by heading south along the PCT to Chinquapin Flats. Had lunch there and then headed back. I ended up with 8.11 miles for the day. The Devil's Slide Trail is certainly challenging and offers "almost" grueling switchbacks. The portion of the PCT I took was easy to moderate (at times). Great morning hike! The Tahquitz Peak Lookout is only another half mile SW on the South Ridge Trail.

Went for my first time on a Saturday and to my suprise there was an almost full parking lot at 0745. Saw many people on the way up and down. Very nice views and still had a little snow on the top. Several miles up got stopped by Rangers (volunteers) and Jeff said I did not have his permission to be here because I was unaware of the permit required. I nicely explained he can carry me down then because I plan on making it to the top which I did :)

Beautiful conifers. Plenty of bird watching opportunities. Uphill all the way to Saddle Junction.

Snowing the entire way down. Very cool but a little slippery and harder overall than expected.

Chilly in February - plenty of snow, but doable with a day pack and hiking boots (we saw others with snow cleats & trekking poles). We hiked noon to 3:30 pm in workout pants, tee shirts & windbreaker jackets. Gorgeous, not TOO strenuous hike. Spots were challenging due to snow and obstacles, but very enjoyable!

I do this one a lot for the workout. When there is a threat of rain, early morning fog and crisp breeze its the best. Not too many hikers in these conditions on the weekends. Quite and serene. In perfect sunny weather, there is a lot of foot traffic. Don't forget your day hiking permit.

It's was a wonderful hike. Challenging because there was a lot of snow and ice. The trail was slippery but still able to hike. It took about 1 hour and 25 minutes to hike to the top. Beautiful views during the hike. I was a little disappointed because I thought we were going to reach a peak for a view, but instead led us to move trails which would have been nice if the weather permitted. Would definitely do it again.