Devils Chair Trail

Devils Chair Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Valyermo, CA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from October until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

9.1 miles 1935 feet Out & Back

The Devil's Punchbowl is a point where 2 earthquake faults collide, creating upwards jutting vertical walls as high as 300 feet. It is a spectacular setting, with the high desert spreading out on one side, and the pine covered Angeles National forest on the other. The hike takes you along the mostly shaded rim of the Punchbowl, to the dramatic Devil's Chair, a breathtaking overlook with 360 degree views of the geologic formations. A rainbow of rock surrounds the Devils Chair with pink streaked chalk white cliffs, undulating tan crags, chocolate brown slabs, and green-gray ledges. This, combined with the green of the mountains and the blue sky, makes for a memorable image. Hikers with extra energy may want to also take the 1 mile loop trail, which drops down into the punchbowl amongst the stunning rock formations. Summer hikers should bring lots of water as it can get seriously hot in this area!

Great Trail! Completed in 3 hours with a 30min break at the chair ! I also added the 1 mile loop at the Devils Punch Bowl and it was great. Park Ranger helped me find the trail head near the parking lot. The worst part of this whole thing is hope you do not have to use the restroom. Go before you get there. They are terrible. Trail starts with a moderate incline and then levels out in the shade. Towards the end there are some steep parts of the trail but manageable with or without trekking poles. I had them and I was happy I brought them. The view is great and worth it all!!! Only other thing is there are some parts where the trail gets small and there is a drop off but i wouldnt say its very drastic but it might deter a newbie. I started late at 8:30am I went through 2.5 litres bring water and a snack. I only logged 7.65 miles on the chair hike I don't know what everyone is talking about. More if you add the punchbowl loop. Couple dogs on the trail I did it solo. It was very well maintained and there was moderate traffic =)

Great hike, once you get passed the first mile, it becomes easier! It's definitely worth the hike. Mostly shaded, well maintained except Mother Nature still manages to get its way. I hiked it in late August, began at 8:40 and was done by 12:10. It was perfect, not extremely hot, I did drink all 2litters of water in my camelback. And we did stop for a quick lunch after we reached the chair!!

I recommend going early in the day to beat the heat. Don't this trail several times, at least 5, love it - great workout! Narrow in some areas and steep in others. After the first mile in (which is a steady uphill) its pretty calm until the very end to the actual chair. On the way back, the switch backs are no joke especially with the sun hitting you. Take water and a hiking buddy!

This is a great hike. The visitor center will tell you it's 7.2 miles out and back. I recorded the journey with Alltrails (picking the 3.6 mile hike listed of the three Devil's Chair hikes on the site) and it logged 9.2 miles out and back. The last half mile or so is downhill, but it wasn't as daunting as I thought it would be to come back up. I stopped to catch my breath a couple of times and was fine. You do need a hat and you do need plenty of water- probably smarter to go in Spring but hey. It was still good. Plenty of parking and the port-a-john was actually not smelly (apparently recently emptied!). There are other 'toilets' as well but no flushing facilities. A GREAT bonus was stopping at a roadside fruit and veg stall- oh my God, fantastic prices and delicious things: Whalley's Orchard, 36275 87th St E, Littlerock, CA 93543. Go after you finish the hike- not out of the way.

Hot! Trail is easy beautiful desert location but it got over a 100 degrees easy down at the bottom. Take lots of water!!

hiked it on saturday and it was a amazing workout and view.

Great experience, Trails are in relatively good shape. I recommend taking at least 3 liters of water due to the very hot climate, people there are friendly and help your every needs. Anyone trying to go here must go it's very fun ! and the view is amazing !

great day hike. Beautiful view once you get to the chair! dog friendly

nice hike, nice views not too dificult

great view at the end, easy to follow trail

awesome view at the end. great trail,easy to follow

Really gorgeous hike! After the first mile on the uphill fire access road, you hit the hiking trail that winds you around to the Devils Chair. There are some nice spots to have lunch once you get to the top before heading back. I did this hike with a group with hikers of all levels (no total beginners in our group) and everyone enjoyed themselves.

The trail was beautiful! It's a Sunday so there were several groups of hikers, all very friendly.

Great Hike!

Great Hike!!
Awesome view at the end
I really enjoyed the trail Definitely recommend it!

Awesome!