Mt. Baldy via Devil's Backbone Trail

Mt. Baldy via Devil's Backbone Trail is a 12.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mt Baldy, CA that offers the chance to see wildlife and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and birding and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Taking the 10 - 60- or 210 fwy exit Mountain Ave. and head north. Mountain Ave. turns into Mt. Baldy Road, take this road all the way up to Manker Flats Road, located about 100 yards past Manker Flats campground on the west side on the street.

I came in at Maker Flats and hiked to the summit via the Baldy Bowl Trail. After summit I exited the Devils Backbone which was a very nice relief as the trail isn't steep, and is much flatter ground. I had a 40lb pack with enough provisions to last me 3 days. I camped at 8k feet the first night on the Baldy Bowl trail. My pack slowed me down and there are a few little sketchy areas on this trail where people have fallen to their death in winter icy, snowy conditions. I met one hiker, kid probably 18, or 19 on his way to the summit with only a tshirt on and said he had a flash light. I met him about 4pm at dusk. It would be dark by the time he summited, and I stopped him to make sure he had a flashlight at least. Weather conditions at the summit were about 30mph winds and the first mile of this trail were winds gusting 30/40mph, and it was cold.

started hike from the ski lift trail up to Top of the Notch, that alone was a good hike up add to Devil's Backbone.. whew!

Great hiking trail, very windy, but view is wonderful.

We took the chairlift up and then walked this trail. Fantastic walk, the views are spectacular, the paths are interesting and beautiful.

This def one of my favorite hikes. Ive done this one several times and still enjoy it as much as I did the first time. Hiking during a light snowfall is beautiful. The mountain top have just enough snow for some amazing pictures. Also, keep your eyes open for ladybugs as they migrate to higher elevation during the winter. You'll find thousands of gorgeous ladybugs.

Love this trail.

This is a great trail that leads to 360° views at parts of the trail. This is a very windy trail at most times so make sure to bring a wind breaker! For the way up you can take a few ways, a loop from ski hut or a fire road from the ski parking. You can also hike up below the lift chairs or ride the chairs. I chose to hike up below the chairs and it was.... interesting. We cut off some time but I recommend taking the fire road. I came in the dark and the fire road was hard to even see but it is at the back left of the main lot. Overall great hike, great weather, great views and an amazing time.

Wonderful views, great workout.

Nice hike with an amazing view at the peak. A must hike trail.

Great climbs and amazing views!

Hiked the trail today for the first time with a friend of mine who has done it several times before. We hiked the counter-clockwise loop which I understand may be the easier route (more gradual). We had great weather, no wind on top, and a really nice hike. Took us 5:30 and we were moving pretty fast and only a few breaks. As everyone points out, great views, great workout, and bring plenty of water. I would note that there are not a lot of signs along the way so it was nice to go with someone who had done it before. Next time I go I will try the clockwise route! Classic Southern California hike for folks in good condition!

This way isn't the prettiest but it's still a great hike. It is not very shaded either so make sure you have plenty of SPF (you will need to reapply) and a hat.

This hike made me question my health ha, but it was amazing views were amazing. its not the san gabriels tallest summit for nothing. 360 views of the entire mountains its breath taking. me and my friend are beginners hikers . but we managed to conquer the trail . take lots of water and snacks . and stay on the trail love it