Deukmejian Wilderness Park: Dunsmore Canyon and Le Mesnager Loop Trails

Deukmejian Wilderness Park: Dunsmore Canyon and Le Mesnager Loop Trails is a 3.4 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Glendale, CA that offers scenic views. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking.

Pretty fun trail for sure if you do the loop up to Lukens (counter clockwise). I saw some reviews saying it was just over 9 miles but my GPS recorded it at 11 miles. Trail is narrow in some places with some overgrowth but pretty decently marked. Although contrary to my actions, I would resist the urge to do it mid day, in mid July.

Love it. I have a 11 year old girl and a 6 year boy and they enjoyed it.

Nice hike. Lots of different paths. Some rocky unstable terrain. Lots of bugs. Nice park at the bottom.

Real fun!! Love the fact that it's not a busy trail. Make sure to take water, especially when it's real hot, hardly any shade on this trail, and wouldn't say it's an easy trail. Definitely would go back.

What wonderful park. Much more than I would expect from a city park. I paid a first visit a couple of days ago and started exploring the Rim of the Valley trail. It starts off through some rolling hills, crosses a canyon stream bed, and then begins to climb to some decent elevation. There were no trail maps either posted or for pickup, so I wasn't quite sure where I was headed or how far to go. I only saw two other hikers on this cold and drizzly weekday, and I was thoroughly enjoying myself. However I saw rain and more wind blowing in, so after an hour plus of hiking I turned around and headed back to the trailhead. I wasn't prepared for an extend hike in weather that day, but I look forward to going back better prepared for a more extensive exploration.

Did the Le Mesnager Loop just to check it out. Was a great warmup to do before breakfast. It is not crowded, trails are well marked, and there are great views of the Crescenta Valley below. You are completely exposed, so bring the water and sunscreen. My girlfriend left her water behind thinking it would be more trouble than it was worth on this light hike. She sure was happy I brought hers and mine because there is almost no shade to speak of.

I love spending my weekend afternoons here! My mom and I have come here many times, and it never disappoints. There are many different trails you can go on, and all of them are wonderful. If you don't have much time, I highly suggest that you do the loop trail (only about 2 to 2.5 miles, I think?). At a certain point during the trail, you'll come across a rock bench where you can sit, relax, and enjoy the view! The only thing is that the trails have no shade at all, so come with plenty of sunscreen!! During the summer, I suggest you come in the late-afternoon to evening when it is cooler :)

This trailhead is access to a variety of different trails. Had we stuck to the loop it would have been a nice easy and enjoyable little hike. We chose to break off and go up the (something) Rim trail for a couple miles, which was really pretty and takes you up the ridge line via a little canyon. There is a decent elevation gain, and it was a lot of fun. The trail continues for a few miles I think, but we'll have to come back when we are more prepared for that distance!

Nice quick incline workout hike if you start the Le Mesnager loop from the right side. The trail and surroundings are very well maintained with no trash or graffiti. Nice view from the breakout at the top of the loop. Great for kids, pets and bikes. Also the Le Mesnager barn is very cool....

We started this hike today around 8am. The parking was completely empty but we saw a couple of people walking on the main trail. We did the rim of the valley trail which is labeled as 'very hard', we didn't complete it due to shortage on time (we did 5.8mi. round trip). The views we got to see from the summit were breathtaking. I'll definitely be back to complete the rim of the valley trail.

Nice easy hike for kids. We took the Le Mesnager Loop which is off to the left of main trail. About 1 1/2 miles and probably 300 foot elevation gain. A nice 50 foot breakout trail near the top gives you a spectacular panoramic view. Not much cover as area is still recovering from fires in 2009.