Desolation Canyon Trail

Desolation Canyon Trail is a 0.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Shoshone, CA that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from November until April. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Highway 190: From Highway 190, travel 3.7 miles south on Badwater Road. Turn on to Desolation Canyon Road (not marked, look closely for it) and follow the road to the end of the left fork.

Simply beautiful trail. We tend to hike early in the morning so the colors weren't as vibrant as they would be in late afternoon but we were not disappointed! Steady, uphill climb. At one point in the narrows you can touch both walls with outstretched arms. Two sections of the trail require you to scramble but easy and doable. After climbing up to the top and walking around we came down trail and explored a couple of side canyons. Worth it!! Found a sunny alcove and had lunch. Only saw 3 other folks as we were leaving...another reason why we tend to hike early in the morning. One of our favorite trails in Death Valley.

This is a nice trail. I found it not-so desolate....and actually very pretty in parts.

There were about 5 others on the trail. The trail is just south of the very crowded Golden Canyon. Driving down Badwater Road from there, hang a left at Desolation Canyon Road. It's between the 3and 4 mile markers.

I started around 2pm. Walk up into the canyon via the wash. Keep to the right at all forks, for the most part. There are a handful of cairns and cairn arrows to guide you.

The trail is moderate ....a steady climb. There are two spots where you need to climb vertically a bit, but only four or five feet. You'll need to pull your weight up. Those are the hardest parts. There are beautiful canyon walls, much like the Artists Palette....pastel greens and pinks. Do the trail in the later afternoon and you'll stay cool and out of the sun while in the canyon.

The last several 100 yards are a bit steep but not bad. Once at the top you have some pretty views, but nothing like what's below.

Most folks return the same way they arrive. That's about 3miles total.

I continued forward and followed the natural wash down. This eventually hits the Artists Drive after the Palette. The road is one way. If going with traffic, follow the road until you get to Badwater Road and then take a right until you get to Desolation Canyon Road. Use caution, obviously.

I got to my car around 4:30pm. Im in good shape and go about 2mi/hr so this was a good moderate hike for me. As with any hike in DVNP, and in general, bring plenty of water.