Stovepipe Wells Sand Dunes Trail

Stovepipe Wells Sand Dunes Trail is a 2 mile out and back trail located near Death Valley, CA. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

If this the hike in the Mesquite Sand dunes, then it is well worth it, very photogenic dunes, highly recommend for a sunrise or a sunset moment, have fun exploring!

We stayed at Stovepipe Wells, and the Sand Dunes were a neat experience. We had never hiked dunes before, and it is unlike regular trail hiking. It made for some unusual photo opportunities, and a lesson-learned for my wife, the photographer. She was unaware of the concept of sunrise winds. We were at the top of a dune when the sun came up. I stepped down below the crest of the dune, but she wanted one more picture. She got to send her camera to the shop for an extensive cleaning, and her legs got a light sandblasting - but the photos are beautiful.
When we awoke the next morning, I drowsily looked out the window and wondered why it was foggy outside. I then watched a lawn chair blow past, and I realized that it was a sand storm. The power was out, but I managed to get a warm cup of coffee at the office, where I exchanged views on sand storms with two locals - Fun!