Dante's View Trail

Dante's View Trail is a 1.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Shoshone, CA that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from October until June.

End of the road rocky half-mile hike to sweeping views 5000 feet above Death Valley at Dante's View The most breathtaking viewpoint in park, mountain-top overlook is 5000 ft above the inferno of Death Valley. From the parking lot, hike along the ridge either direction. Hike a half mile to the right from parking lot to first summit (Dante's View 5475 ft.) for spectacular vistas and cool place to escape summer heat. You can keep going to Mt. Perry which is 4 miles one way, but be careful of the heat.

Amazing views. Easy walk.

Amazing views! Don't really need to hike much, it's all there at the parking lot

Great views green on the right & salt flats to your left as you continue on the trail past the peak. But the group of 7 I was with really want to question who labelled this as easy, because the way back from continuing on the 3.5 mile one-way kicked our butts with all the uphill climb at that elevation. Yes there is a trail & no scrambling, but we hike often & longer distances but that was not "easy". My legs & butt felt it the next day and that has not happened to me in a LONG time. My lungs were feeling it while on the uphill too.

Most excellent views as far as the eye can see. There are trails to hike that one could continue both downhill and uphill from the parking lot. I went downhill (south) for a mile, then returned to start. While not difficult, it Made me realize my sea level lungs need more conditioning for mile high altitude. Day was overcast and temperature about 55F.

Who doesn't want to see that view of Mos Eisley? Seriously it is great views of the valley and surrounding mountains.

Went here on the way out of the valley and it was amazing. Caught the sunset and recommend it highly. There are a couple short trails leading off of the parking lot that are easy and provide incredible views.

scenic driving

Wow! This is must for any visit to Death Valley, even if you drive all that way to just stay for five minutes. I opine the views are just as breathtaking as those of Glacier Point in Yosemite.

There are short trails to either side of the lot, but I'm not sure they provide much better views than are available by circling the lot on foot.

40 mpg (65kph) gusts and low temps kept me off the ridges. Windproof (and warm) clothing advised.

Awesome view of the Badwater Salt basin - took Rebecca Vitsumun's recommendations and found it to surpass all expectations - a must day trip from Las Vegas

Such an amazing view! The best part is that you can drive all the way up. It is close to 6,000 feet from the top down to Bad Water. If I went back down to Death Valley, this is the first place I would go. It is especially nice when the sun is setting.

Um whoops. We went the wrong direction and blew our shot at going the correct direction because I was traveling with my 3 year old who was tired once we got back to the starting spot when I realized what happened. When I looked to see where the trail was, I looked for the people instead of where the highest point was and everyone was walking down the trail to the left instead of up the trail to the right. UGH. Total waste of a drive and it will be years before we go again.

Still. Awesome and gorgeous view anyway, even if we didn't get to the peak. *cry*

Short hike along high ridges overlooking Death Valley. We went in January when the weather was cool, in the 50's at the peak, but the views were worth the trip. You can hike for several miles up here, but most people go to one of the prominent rock formations less than half a mile from the parking lot.

scenic driving

So worth it. Easy drive to the vista. I got to see it just after it had snowed. Take some time to absorb the beauty of it.

It was fun to watch the temperature change from 120 degrees at the start of the 13 mile spur road to 100 degrees at the parking lot at the end of road. We hiked first to the left along the ridge then turned around and came back up past the parking lot and on up the trail to Dante's View with some great views of the Badwater road 5000 feet below. Cooler hiking than down in the valley - recommend if you visit Death Valley to definitely take the road to the top and enjoy the view.

A short hike that packs awesome views of the southern end of Death Valley including the lowest point in the U.S. (Badwater salt flats-minus 282') and views north to the highest point (Mount Whitney-14,494').

Not a very difficult little hike, but the views up there are breathtaking of the Badwater salt flats below - a great perspective of a huge portion of the park!

Really nice view and worth the stop here. Be prepared for a big crowd, I've never been up here when there hasn't been a ton of people.

you can see amazing veiw.