Dawn Mine Trail

Dawn Mine Trail is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Altadena, CA that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips and is accessible from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

old growth

[Still closed due to fire damage] Dawn Mine Trail is a 4.4 mile loop trail that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, mountain biking & walking and is accessible from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Loved this hike! It started getting difficult towards the last mile of the hike. We went out and back instead of the loop and it was easier going back. We saw a bear and her cub about half way through the hike! I definitely recommend this trail.

Nice hike with some moderate climbing.

Loved the trail! Challenging with satisfaction upon reaching the mine.

One of my favorite hikes in LA. Once you get down into the canyon you take a right. From there follow signs, rock towers, and markings. Requires some bouldering but not too difficult. Once you see the old wheel climb up too it, go past it and the entrance to the mine is almost hidden under a rock. Don't forget a flashlight! If you want to do the loop- with your back facing the mine/wheel you'll see a trail entrance kitty corner on your left up the hill. From there just continue to head left and up. Takes about 3-4 hours depending on how fast you are. And dogs are fine on the trail as long as they're ok with climbing/in good shape.

It was an awesome hike! I wouldn't say anything about trails because there are not a lot on this hike. You have to follow markers and navigation to get to the mines but when you get there it's pretty awesome and well worth it....

I love the trail, I wasn't really prepared, I didn't think it was going to be this hard. I will definitely come back.

it was an amazing hike that will challenge you. you against you hike forsure I really enjoyed it... make sure to find your path back correctly... for I got lost.. but that's okay because sometimes you have to be lost to find yourself. worth the 5 miles. I'd say about an hour 20 mins hike depending on your speed. way down is faster but pay attention to your trail... or you will get lost. park in the parking lot I suggest by campsite because I got a ticket.... lol and it's not cheap... just saying .. also one last thing alot of water and a head lamp. happy trails !!!!

Hard

DO NOT BRING DOGS ON THIS HIKE! I have a strong healthy lab/golden mix named jack, took him on the hike and he suffered heat exhaustion after only 3 miles. the trail is through the mountains in uncovered terrain, no shade, almost all uphill.
It is a good challenging hike for an experienced hiker, great scenic views and cool caves. Bring lots of water, just leave the dogs at home. Don't subject them to this hike, if you want to hike with your dog take them on a different trail.
My dog almost died, we got stranded woth no cell reception. I had to carry him (60 lbs) about a mile because he was unable to walk. I used up all of our water dousing his fur to keep him cool. Luckily some strangers came by on mountain bikes and agreed to bike down the mountain for cell reception and called a Dog Rescue for us.
Jack is safe and well but it cost a lot in vet bills. He burned his paws and had difficulty walking for about a week.

Leave the pets at home on this one, please.

This is a great hike and do it all the time. It is a hike for experienced hikers. I wouldn't recommend bringing pets or children as there are rattle snakes in certain areas and lots of Boulder scrambling. The trail is relatively easy to follow. If you have all trails use it people it tracks you. We had a guy loose his dog to heat stroke last weekend. Remember to stay hydrated. Water does run almost the entire trip. The mine is easy to find when you are on the path you will go under a iron pipe sticking out of the ground. At that point your 2 hours in and about 5 min from the mine. Once you do go under the pole. Continuously look up to your left. You will see what looks like 2 steal beams coming out from the rock about 150 ft above you. Hike up to that. Directly to the left is the mine. Please do not leave signs as we do take them down to keep the takers out who like to tag the upper mine. Follow the ribons and you'll be fine. Even better use your all trails app and you'll be good. Enjoy your hikes. Hopefully this are isn't destroyed by the fire.

The full loop, if you follow the map, is closer to 7.5 miles and really difficult in parts - single person trail with steep cliff side dropoffs and a lot of bouldering. The trail can be tricky to find off the fire road at the top of the loop. It's to the right of the Dawn Mine historical marker. The canyon part was really fun with a lot of bouldering. A super fun trail, but definitely for experienced hikers. Bring lots of water. We did it in about 4 hours with two short dogs and two kids.

Omg!!!
Its aVery Rockie trail it isn't clear on how to get to the cave I think they need more signs other then that it's a Great Workout Cave is pretty Awesome
we got kinda lost on the way back but Thanks to a couple of Hiker we made it back.

Okay.. So, this was one of the most frustrating hikes I've ever done. Not because of the hike itself, but because I accidentally complicated things. Therefore, I want to help others with this post.
Take the trail to the falls, then, back track for maybe 30 or so yards. There will be a small stake with a pink ribbon marking a rather steep "trail." Once you make it up, go left (you won't have much of a choice in this). You'll go along this trail and over the waterfall you just saw below. Follow the trail and whenever you're not sure where to go, look for one of the following to guide you: pink ribbon, spray painted arrows on rocks, and cairns. I promise that when there's not an obvious trail, one of those things will be around to get you where you need to go. Finally, to get to the actual mine, you will see a relic up on the left side of the canyon. Once you're up by the relic, the mine is directly to the left of it. There's a giant rock blocking the entrance to the mine, so if you're not looking for it, it's very easy to overlook. This is where I messed up. I didn't see a mine so I kept going; which, if you do, there is another "mine" on the left side of the canyon, but it's like 20ish feet long then ends.
Anyway, I hope this helps! I spent a solid 4 hours scouring the canyon and making my own paths in attempts to find the canyon that I had literally been standing right next to and just didn't realize. Definitely a beautiful hike overall, only saw one other person on the trail the entire time. Some "bouldering" but my beagle handled it fine, with some occasional help from me on the higher ones. I would highly recommend this hike, as long as you follow my directions! Haha. Enjoy!

This hike is probably one of my new favorites! First time here May 9, 2016. We walked down the fire road, to the Mine Trail. When you get lower into the trail you are walking alongside water, and at time crossing it. The water was very low due to no rain. Lots of uphill and climbing rocks. Once we got to the mine we debated on going it. But we met some great people on the trail who knew the ins and outs. The Mine inside was very fascinating! On the way back we kind of went the wrong way and ended up climbing back up the side of the waterfall...I'd def do this trail again! So worth it!