Dawn Mine Trail Loop

Dawn Mine Trail Loop is a 5.1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Altadena, CA that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips and is accessible from September until May. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

old growth

it was a great hike i will definitely do it again

P

Hiked this last weekend. Lots of fun. Kids would definitely find it challenging. Plenty of shade by the afternoon. Definitely worth checking out. Just make sure to bring flashlight try explore the mine.

Came up by myself on 10/31/2016. Took the trail to the left of the cabin (not sunset trail). It was overcast and cool. Entire trip was 4 and a half hours with a half hour lunch stop at the mine. Just before starting back I looked east from the mine entrance and saw a mountain lion make a leisurely traverse for about 15 seconds, then zig-zag bounds up and over a rise and disappeared. I continued to watch the last spot I saw him and heard what sounded like a bird making repeated cries of about five chirps, the last five louder than the rest. I hoped the cat was on a hunt and not interested in me. I took out my small pepper spray and held on to it during the trip out. Next time I am bringing an air horn as well. I told other hikers coming up about the cat, and none were deterred. Pooped, maybe, but not deterred.

This was a great adventure hike with the dogs. Loved exploring the Mine caves.

My friends and I hiked this trail today (11-11-16) and it was the hardest we've done so far. We're amateur hikers just looking to get away and connect with mother nature, and connecting we did! There were tree shades all throughout the trail. Not a whole lot of water mostly trickles. There was not a lot of foot traffic so we pretty much had the place to ourselves. The views are awesome and the mine was interesting. It was definitely an experienced.

What a great adventure. Truly an autumn hike. After all the rain the streams were running and the forest smelled wet with wafts of sage and other homey scents. Note! Read the signs - you can't access the Mine Trail from the waterfall but it's nice enough to warrant the back tracking. More than fair amount of uphill boulder scrambling but the trail was clear enough and if you keep you eyes open for clues like pipes, metal, ribbons, arrows, and stacked rocks you will find it just fine. Remember in this case the X marks the mine. Wish I had waders to go further into the mine where the water was deeper. When you are in the mine turn your light of and be still - not often you can be in complete darkness and silence. Came down in the dark because we started too late but headlamps we had for the mine were good to get us down. Thank goodness no bears!

I would define this trail as moderate, definitely not easy but not hard. What makes me give it 3 stars is the lack of shade. Not a trail I would recommend midday or during summer.

very nice hike my friends

It was hard but fun!

One of the best hikes in LA area. Good amount of shade. The mine is pretty dope too.

Found it no problem, super fin trail to take, just follow the arrows painted on rocks and the old mining debris and you know your on the right track. Waterfall was almost completely dry. Need adventure pass or you can risk it.

Did this trail yesterday and it was awesome. As many people have mentioned before, it was difficult to follow the trail after seeing the cottage. Would definitely recommend having a gpx and navigational equipment in case you get lost.

The hike itself wasn't too bad. I would say it's more moderate then difficult, but definitely have hiking boots with good traction.

We started around midday which was a terrible idea, it got so hot. Luckily there was some cool shade over about half of the trail. Bring lots of water!

The trail was easy up until the last mile where there were some substantial inclines and a lot of boulder scrambling.

The mine at the end was awesome. However, we couldn't explore all of it because someone started a fire inside and it was filled with smoke... easy way to get yourself killed. There is no ventilation in the mine so if you start a fire you're going to give yourself carbon monoxide poisoning.

A great short hike if you're up for it. Start real early and catch the sun rising.

nice trail, good workout and my favorite hike so far.

This has probably been my favorite, if not my second favorite hike in the Los Angeles area. Start off by parking down by the camp grounds. You need a adventure pass to park within the park. Then proceed towards the campground. From here. You have two options. 1) head up towards the waterfall and go up some super steep trail to the ridge above. Or you have option #2. You get to the trail marker right before the campground and head right up that trail instead of left to the waterfall trail. This is what we did. It may add a tiny bit more to the distance but saves you from a steep uphill. Once at the top of that trail, take a left along the fire road. This road will lead you to another trail sign on the left. Take that trail down to the river. Next major turn comes at the cabin by the river. Take the farthest left trail towards the river bed. The river is mostly dried up but does have some pockets of water. The trail is mostly shaded but does have some areas that are out in the open. From the cabin, you are going to follow the river up the mountain until you hit the mine. The trail does go back and forth across the river bed. Just follow the river. There are some rocks that have black painted arrows to try and help guide you. Also some people have laid logs across paths that will lead you the right way. Once done at the mine, my friend and I couldn't find the path to continue the loop so we just took the same trial back out. Make sure you bring a flash light and a change of socks. Once inside the mine, there is water and it truly is pitch black. Be safe! Don't forget to sign the book in the main area once inside the mine. It took us roughly 4 hours to complete this hike.

Very good hike, easy to lose the trail in some parts.

Loved this hike! It started getting difficult towards the last mile of the hike. We went out and back instead of the loop and it was easier going back. We saw a bear and her cub about half way through the hike! I definitely recommend this trail.