Damnation Creek Trail

Damnation Creek Trail is a 3.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Klamath, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

beach

old growth

Good hike that I enjoyed especially because of the beautiful redwoods and the cardio on the way back. If you're not in reasonable shape don't do this hike. There is only a few hundred yards of flat ground on the 4.2 mile hike. If you are looking for a nice beautiful beach stop at Crescent City. If you want to step on this beach at all check your tide schedule. Today was an incoming close to high tide with a good swell and there wasn't a beach. The trail was in pretty good shape but still needed a little work even though a dozen trail workers were on their way up as I was going down. There is a sign saying the bridge isn't usable but it is and the sign that was on the bridge itself is no longer there. That may have been what the crew was doing this morning. I was expecting to see more than the 2 other hikers that I saw on the trail. Overall a very good hike that I enjoyed and will repeat.

Trailhead is at right of lot. Redwood forest down to ocean cove- what's not to love?

The hike to the bottom is relatively easy but coming back up is pretty tiring. The beach is beautiful. The trail is pretty but it was in rough shape when I went. Definitely worth the hike back up

Beautiful hike through the Redwoods. Most of the elevation change is in the mile closest to the shore which makes it strenuous.

One of my favorite hikes ever. A moderate hike that starts in the redwoods of Northern California and ends at a secluded beach that's only accessible from the trail. It's a great place to whale watch during the season.

It's different in the fact that you start the hike by going down in elevation and then up on the way back. You start out in the Redwoods that have their natural distinct color. The trail is clearly marked the entire route. When you get closer to the ocean, you'll notice that the redwood bark greyish-white. This is due to the moist salt-air.

After 0.6 miles, you'll come to a crossroads with the Coastal Trail. You should stay to the right and on the trail that goes up in elevation a bit. You'll follow that for another 0.1 miles and come to another crossroads with the Coastal Trail.

At that point you'll see the sign for the continuing "Damnation Creek Trail." When I went recently, there was a sign that warns of a bridge under reconstruction. It also says there is no beach access. Don't let this discourage you.

When you reach the bridge you'll notice it's still intact. It's missing the support for the middle. Therefore, if you walk across it you'll feel it bob up and down. I've walked across it and it's fine so long as you don't jump.

If you don't feel comfortable walking across the bridge, there has been a makeshift path cut to the right of the bridge. The creek that you cross is about a foot and a half wide, so you should have no trouble crossing.

Once you get to the beach, you're up on a rock face that has a path to the right to climb down. It's a little steep, but anyone can do it. Then, you're at the ocean!

The trailhead pull off is about 8 miles south of Crescent City on the right.

Enjoy!

Very majestic being surrounded by these old and enormous Redwoods. The hike is a bit difficult and even more so with four children, 9yr old, 7yr old, 5yr old and 3yr old on my back. But totally worth it, beautiful nature and awesome family time.

This trial started off in the redwoods...so it was quite beautiful from the very beginning. You hike half a mile and then you intersect with the costal trail. Proceed north a few more feet and you will notice the trail head on your left. This trail does drop 1000 feet in less than three miles. So prepare yourself for quite a dive down and a climb out. If you are capable...do it. We reached the beach and only shred the site with starfish, clams and hermit crabs. I have never seen anything so beautiful. The mountains rolled right into the sea. We hiked early so there was still a fog covering the tops of the mountains. It made the moment all that more surreal.

We would recommend this to anyone and would definitely do this again. The trial was well maintained and well marked. Just beware of the climb down and out.

The name refers to the damnation a hiker will feel when he/she goes back up. I wouldn't worry about it, though. If you're in reasonable shape it won't be bad, even if the descent is abrupt and intimidating. A round-trip hike probably takes 2-4hrs - so don't expect a quick visit to the beach. The beach, by the way, provides spectacular views of the rocky coastline. There's a good chance you will see interesting skeletons or carcasses of battered animals on the rough shore, I myself found the large skull of a strange fish I could not identify (not an expert... yet) I also saw a group of what I believe to be Black Oystercatchers, which are sea birds with distinctive orange beaks, hanging out on the beach.

One concern I hear is that the trailhead is right along 101, so hikers have to listen to traffic a bit of the way down. This might be true but I cannot confirm it, I was probably caught up in the forest scenery to notice. These redwoods are the real deal. I loved the nutrient-rich soil beneath my feet and the fog-fed trees towering above me.

All in all, Damnation Creek Trail is a perfect marriage of the Pacific Northwest ocean & forest ecosystems. The shift between the two is dramatic and rewarding.

Didn't finish this one. Starts at a unmarked turnout on Hwy 101, but there's always cars parked there at the trail-head. Goes around a hill and then down down down. About half-way in I could see it was going to drop about 1000 feet in a mile.. too steep for my taste. At least the return would have been. So I bailed. It's really nice scenery though, through old-growth redwoods.

A pretty straightforward descent through typical redwood forest on a bunch of long switchbacks. It's steep but not too steep, so the 1000 descent isn't that bad. The grassy ledge at the end of the trail is nice, overlooking a rocky beach and a bunch of sea stacks, it even has a small rock arch. When we were there at the beginning of December we could see some seals and a bunch of gray whales pretty close to the shore. It's the only trail I've done so far in Del Norte' but I like it.

This is the trail that proposed to my wife on. Located in the Del Norte Redwoods park. The trail head is on the west side of the road, and not very distinguished. The hike is easy going down through old growth redwoods and a section of burned area. As you approach the coast line there is a foot bridge with a very unique tree growing next to it. Great place for a photo op. once over the bridge, the ocean is only 100 yards away through some tall grasses. And then the best part; the natural land pier that goes out into the water with waves crashing all around. My wife and I recently redid this trail to remember our engagement. The only caution is the hike out. 2.1 miles UP about 1000 vertical feet. This is one of my favorites.

A hard hike out to sea then you have the place to yourself ; )