Cuyamaca Peak Loop

Cuyamaca Peak Loop is a 6.3 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Descanso, California that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until October.

Lightly traveled and rugged ridgeback with splendid pine forest views to the west. This excursion to the top of the Cuyamaca Peek has many trails from which to choose. Ours trail begins on the south Azalea Glen Loop. This 1.5 mile ascent is one of the most beautiful dense forest hikes in the park. We took the Loop Trail to the Azalea Glen Road to the Azalea Fire Road finally meeting up with the Conejos Trail. The Conejos, a lightly hiked 2.5 mile trail, follows the ridgeback of the Cuyamaca it is a bit of smorgasbord. It begins by meandering around fallen oak trees then quickly morphs to a granite rock trail. Finally it becomes a wall trail hugging a steep drop! The views this hike affords are fantastic, both to the East Mountains and west low lying valleys. Finally, the trail merges with the paved fire road 0.5 from the top of Cuyamaca Peak. Be sure to bring some binoculars, on a clear day the views from the second highest peak in San Diego County are spectacular!

Great Hike!! I love the variety of trails and the steep inclines really gives you the cardiovascular workout you desire. I highly recommend this hike.

Loved this hike. Went 2 days after rainfall and it was great having some greenery and a little moisture everywhere. It was fairly easy in the beginning 30% of the trail then became more difficult from there on. The trail was rocky and seemed to have a stream going through the trail which made it that much more fun. The peak was beautiful as was expected. We took the paved road down and we are extremely glad we didn't take it up because there isn't much to see. We started at Azalea Glen, then Azalea Springs, then Conejos and busted a right on the paved road when it met up with us to the top. Was really a special hike. Highly recommend. Another good part about this hike was actually the drive up to the trail. You pass through a little town called Julian which could be a whole separate review all in itself. Pretty fun day! We totaled about 9.0 miles up and back including a few off trail ventures.

Can you recommend hiking on this trail on Jan 1, 2017?

Great hike today! About an inch of snow and 35 degrees. I ended up with 8.48 miles on this trail. took a wrong turn and lost some elevation that I had to gain back. Beautiful weather today. Clear blue skies, icy and snowy trees. I will definitely come back for more whether in the winter or summer.

This is my favorite trail in SD. so many loops to hike. It's a must if you love hiking. I usually do around 10-15 mils

One of my favorite trails, definitely take Conejo Trails on your way up via Azalea Springs for the best experience.

This is hands down my favorite hike in San Diego County. I have done this hike more times than I can count and never seem to get tired of the hike or the view. Great views all the way up and down from the summit with a breathtaking view from the top.

Amazing hike. Difficult not for the beginner.

All uphill and fairly steep to the peak on a paved road, but still good views along the way. Great views from the peak though. Conejos trail on the way back was much more scenic and easier on the feet, though a little rocky with a fair amount of scree. Good to see the forest making a comeback after the fires. Afterwards went to Julian for an awesome chicken pot pie dinner at rongranch (spelling ?) restaurant and some moms apple pie. Picked up dudleys fruit bars on the drive home.

Hiked Azalea Glenn to Conejos trail to the peak. Conejos was very scenic and fun to hike. My 5 yr old little girl conquered this hike in about 5 hrs. My 3 yr old was able to do about 1/2 and 1/2 on my back. The worse part was going down the paved fire trail... knee buster for sure, not scenic... a death march back to the car! Lol

hike on Azeala Glenn and Cornejo trail to peak has nicer views than access road, distance will increase by close to 2 miles of gradual ascent

This hike is gorgeous but not for beginners! We did the route the map shows, which is the Fire road to the peak, then Los Conejos for much of the way down and Azaleas loop back to the park entrance. Stopping to snack and take pictures at the top we took 4 hours. I definitely recommend good hiking socks because the way down is VERY rocky, even with good hiking boots my husband ended up with blisters. Don't even attempt in gym shoes unless you plan on taking the paved fire road up and back. The loop goes through a wide variety of scenery, although parts are a bit overgrown the trail is very clear.