Crown Prince Lookout Trail

Crown Prince Lookout Trail is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Desert Center, CA that offers scenic views and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from October until April.

Parking at Jumbo Rock Campground

This is a very easy hike through the desert with beautiful scenery along the way. I made the hike with my four year old grandson, who had no trouble. It begins and ends at the Jumbo Rock area, which gave him opportunity to do rock climbing.

It is difficult to distinguish where the overlook may have actually been, and as neither my grandson nor I have the physical ability to do any real rock climbing, we did not go up to the top of any of the larger rock formations. We did climb some of the smaller ones, and found a nice little niche to have our lunch.

We returned to the campgrounds cross country, rather than following the trail. It is always a nice surprise to come across some of the rock art formations that other hikers have left in the desert. The only time we saw other hikers aside from beginning and end, was at a good distance. There is no shade, so definitely a spring/fall hike out here.