Cowles Mountain from Big Rock Trail

Cowles Mountain from Big Rock Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santee, CA that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible from October until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Cowles Mountain from Big Rock is a 4.2 mile loop trail located near Santee, California that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from October until June. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

44 minutes ago

Had fun. Parking sucks but, other than that I enjoyed myself.

Great hike! Did this on 9-5-16 as part of the five-peak challenge. Did them all in one day. 18.1 miles. 4,326 feet of elevation gain, 6 1/2 hours. Fun! Did Kwaay Paay first, then North Fortuna, and South Fortuna. Then, drove to Big Rock and hiked Pyles and Cowles.

Today was the first tine going up this way. I really liked it. The first half of the hike is awesome. The second half is in a service road and becomes more crowded. Overall it is better than the crowds going up the other Cowles Mountain trail. Definitely recommend this hike.

Got Cowles and Pyle's Peak in one shot from this side for a change. A lot less people, but that ain't saying much. Once you get to Pyle's though, the herd thins. Great exercise, but keep an eye out for the Rock Trail cutoff otw back. I missed it and had to back track which is not fun.

Great for my first time up Cowles. The Big Rock Trail was empty on the way up (sunrise) and I only saw a half dozen or so on my way down......once off the access road that is.
We got very low clouds which actually made for quite a visual treat since we were above them at the peak.

Tough hike, the access road at the top is brutal. bring water and wear sunscreen, very little shade on this well worn trail.

Pretty intense seeing we got to the top and decided to hike pyles peak right after. Lesson learned

Good moderate hike.

good steady climb. a good workout. I went the extra couple miles over to Pyle's. easy

I loved

Really enjoyed it! Didn't do the full loop, just up and back. 5 miles on the dot.

A good and fun hike! Great views and a great day!