Bertha Peak Trail

Bertha Peak Trail is a 7.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Big Bear City, CA that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and off road driving and is accessible from March until September. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

off road driving

Nice hike beautiful scenery but look out for the mountain bikes. We were nearly taken out by a group coming around the bend at top speed

not a bad hike overall. 7 miles in and out. trail is dusty and somewhat rocky through certain areas. the last section is the steepest and most rocky. when we got near the peak, there were a crew of tree trimmers around the power station. so we weren't able to see the absolute top of the peak. kinda of a bummer.

The peak has generators and power lines on top and the last .08 miles is very steep and dusty. The view is just as good from the top of Cougar Crest Trail. Had I known, I would have skipped the last bit up the PCT and on to Bertha Peak.

Hiked up to the peak with my boyfriend on Sunday morning. Hard for me, but made it to the top. Nice views, resting spots.

Great experience. You start at Cougar Crest and up thru the PCT. great panoramic view of the lake. Last 3/4 of a mile is steep with loose rock.

Great workout. Nice and quiet. Awesome views.

This was a fun hike that took about 4.5 hours including a break a the peak. The trails were easy to follow from the Cougar Crest Trail up to the Pacific Crest Trail and up to Berthas Peak. The majority of the trail was pretty easy, but rocky and the last 3/4 of a mile to the peak becomes pretty steep and rocky. Overall, the weather was great, the trail was fun and we couldn't have asked for a better day.

Pretty long for us but worth it

Saw deer! Took my dog and teenager, it was quite easy for all

Nice trail! Took off from Cougar Crest. Bring lots of water and make sure to wear good boots.

Nice little out and back with some friends. Affords nice views of big bear stating half way up. The last mile can be fairly strenuous so be prepared.

One of my favorite hikes in Socal. Incredible views and not too busy.

We began at the Cougar Crest trailhead at the Discovery Science Center which at the beginning, was a paved trail. The trail turned to dirt and was easy most the way up. Our goal was to reach Bertha Peak. The last part of the trail berfore you reach Bertha Peak is pretty steep. The radio tower at the top is sort of a let down but the panoramic views of Big Bear Lake and Holcomb Valley are unreal. Overall, it was a pretty easy trail and a nice day hike escape from the city.

Pretty easy hike. Nice, wide trail. Very clean and quiet. I brought my 9 year with me, and he endured just fine.

My favorite trail so far. Great view.

I love this hike. Enough elevation for a workout - but do-able. Fantastic views of the lake and surrounding mountains. And fun for the dog. Beautiful.