Coon Creek Trail

Coon Creek Trail is a 7.4 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Los Osos, CA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

Coon Creek is a 4.5 mile trail located near Los Osos, California. The trail is primarily used for walking.

Nice trail, I think we missed a turn because it just kinda ended in a clearing. I have a new GPS, and will try again, because it is worth another try.

It's been a few years, but I remember it well. It was right after a "controlled" burn by Cal Fire ended up burning several hundred acres. I probably went about 4-5 miles back before calling it quits as it seemed like it could go on forever. The inclines up to the peak were pretty challenging when you get up in elevation. I loved all the Manzanita trees and unique rock formations. You can distinguish the different ancient seabeds that have been exposed over millions of years.

Nice and easy hike. Love all the bridges and fresh berry bushes along the way.

Went the wrong way and ended up on Rattlesnake Flats trail, but we stayed on it which was nice because we got some amazing views. Rattlesnake flats is barren and kind of hot, but some nice sea breezes came up which made it nice. The trail runs back down and t-bones into about the mid way point of Coon Creek, so we took that back to the parking lot.
Coon Creek is nice and easy, relatively level and winds through a riparian woodland filled with berry bushes and bird chatter. I'm glad we went the wrong way and got to do a good climb, but I'd like to come back and do Coon Creek properly and go the whole length to check out the homestead. Anyway, we'll be back! Montano de Oro is definitely a great place to go to escape the summer heat of North County ;)

Definitely an easy hike. Probably great views on a clear day, though when I went it was foggy. You'll want to start along the creek, then turn left on Rattlesnake Flats to loop you back to the parking lot. Recently, there was a control burn (About 9 months ago), and the area is still clearly scarred, as it will be for years. I think this only adds to the experience of the trail, however. On rattlesnake flats, it looks as though the whole place is a graveyard of plants, but at the same time, new growth is sprouting from the ground. I recommend doing this in the fog, as it only adds to the whole experience of feeling totally isolated and alone with nature. If you want views, maybe a nice panorama, go hike Valencia Peak on a clear day. But if you want a really memorable experience, go Coon creek. There's something special when, in today's world with it's roughly 7 billion people, you look around and see nothing but mist and nature.

the cdf let a controlled burn get out of control. the trail is pretty messed up right now and not very pretty.

A good trail for the beginner hiker--gets you some good exercise and good views.At the end of the inbound trail is a tall stand of trees--nice on a summers day to take a break before the hike back out

A neat trail for exercise, the first third is mostly flat following the creek up the valley. The next third is up hill then rolling. The last third is down hill with a great view of the ocean.