Convict Lake Loop Trail

Convict Lake Loop Trail is a 2.5 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Mammoth Lakes, California and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and fishing and is best used from June until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

this is an amazing trail. I have hiked it 4 times now going all the way to genneive.

walked all the way around the lake it was gorgeous

Although I often refer to my walks as hikes, this one really should be considered a walk. It is stunningly beautiful anytime of year, the fall might be my favorite time to be here. The mountain rises 3000' above the base of the lake, it should be seen in person as pictures don't do it justice. According to the Convict Lake Resort, the loop trail is closer to 3 miles.

Lovely, relatively easy if you are in good health. Breathtaking views of the mountains and
lake. Takes about 2 hours at an enjoyable pace. Wear a hat because first half , from the trailhead parking lot is unshaded. We saw deer and chipmunks and boy scouts and Australian students! Very enjoyable for sure.

I started on the south side of the lake, went around the back, then turned left and went quite a ways up the canyon. It was beautiful. I didn't make it to Lake Mildred, but probably got at least three quarters of the way there. The trail pretty much follows Convict Creek the whole way. I'd like to come back and make it to one of the lakes.

Beautiful scenery!

Easy hike around lake. There is a bridge and lots of butterflies :)

I thought I'd add a fishing review to complement the typical hiking reviews. Convict Lake is an excellent fishing lake. It is a stocked lake so if you're looking for wild trout...this is not the place. It is well stocked through the entire fishing season. Bring a fishing license, spinning rod, and reel. Getting hung on rocks is common so you'll need a good number of swivels, sinkers, treble hooks, leader line, power bait and patience. A stringer for your catch is also important. These are stocked fish not wild trout. Few survive the season let alone the winter.

An easy, especially for a hike in the Sierra, excellent hike, . Convict Lake is one of the most beautiful and easily accessed lakes in the Eastern Sierra. The Sevehah Cliffs on the face of Laurel Mountain provide a stunning backdrop. This hike should be on the agenda of even casual hiking families visiting the Eastern Sierra. Well worth the drive from Bishop, Mammoth Lakes, or June Lake. Lots of young children on the trails. There are some significant drop offs but footing is good. If my Friday hike is any indication traffic is more than light during vacation season. Lots of stopping to let people pass but don't rush this hike. Slow down and enjoy.

This is one of my favorite lakes. For a longer hike we park by hwy 395 and walk in and around from there to make it about 6.5 miles.

Did this hike in March 2016 with two dogs. Breathtaking scenery but extremely easy trail...not sure why it's listed as difficult. Creek was flowing into lake and still ice and snow around. I would do this on a daily basis if I couldn't get to a more challenging trail. Great trail for beginners.