EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Congress Trail

Congress Trail is a 3 mile loop trail located near Sequoia National Park, CA and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and snowshoeing and is accessible from June until October.

This popular trail begins at the General Sherman Tree and takes you into the heart of the Giant Forest. It is also a pleasant snow-shoe in the winter months.

Very easy trail, suitable for kids.

Sequias - majestatic. Hike itself easy and not challenging, a simple "walk in the park" type.

We started from the Sherman Tree Trail and completed the loop around Congress Trail. We went when the trail was covered in snow, but it was still easy to follow. This was my first time in SNP and it was a great introduction to the sequoia trees. We had the trail to ourselves since we went during a weekday in the middle of December.

Visited December 2016

Super easy paved trail through groves of huge trees. Go as early as possible, trail gets super packed. Can be a little tricky in winter, but we did it in boots and gaiters with no real problems.

Monster trees! Pretty busy, but then these massive sequoias are the reason people come to the park. Don't expect solitude though.

This hike is near the famous General Sherman tree. I'd recommend the congress trail because you dodge the crowds at the General Sherman, however you loop and can see the tree on the way back to the parking lot. The congress trail really takes you past a lot of great sequoias so for the relatively short time it takes, it's worth it.

I've gone every year since childhood and plan on bringing my own kids someday. This is a MUST SEE!!!

My first time to Sequoia National Park. We had the park all to itself in the morning, so I guess winter is the off season. The General Sherman Tree is at the trailhead to the Congress Trail. It's the largest known living organism - pretty cool, right?

This is a good easy, mostly flat hike for those who want to venture a bit further into the Giant Forest from the Gen. Sherman Tree. It's paved so it's doable for even the most beginner-level hikers (including kids).

Be careful of bears. We hiked it in early evening and spotted a mother and her cubs nearby. We ended up reversing our direction in the loop a couple times to avoid a closer encounter.

We began our hike at the main Sherman Tree parking lot. I found it useful to reference a map of the Giant Forest that I bought at the Lodgepole Village market. The map identifies the upcoming trees along the trail. The trail had more up and down that I expected, but still easy. In total, we we walked 2.7 miles. Instead of walking all the way back up the hill, we caught the free shuttle at the Sherman Tree back up to the main Sherman Tree Parking lot.

Started at the Giant Forest museum on the Alta trail and connected with the Congress trail to the General Sherman tree. A nice hike among the giant sequoias.

I started the hike at Moro Rock and with the Topo map I got from this web site I hiked my way to the Congress Trail. Get the map!!! A lot of trails branch off and on while on the Alta trail including the Congress trail.

Great easy hike. Start at General Sherman and hike down to the museum. Yes, downhill all the way and mostly shaded. You can then take the shuttle from the museum back up to the General Sherman parking lot. Trees are amazing and we saw a bear.

Extremely easy hike through the Great Forest that winds through and shows some of the largest sequoia trees. We saw plenty of deer and birds on the trail as well.. There are many intersections with other trails if you want to change direction, or stay on the full loop to return.