Cliff Lake

Cliff Lake is a 9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Shaver Lake, CA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from June until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

fly fishing

rock climbing

Very well marked and maintained trail. Starting near Trapper Springs Campground, this trail will take you to Cliff Lake and other destinations. Cliff Lake is a great place for camp, and to day hike from.

I really enjoyed this trail back in May of 2016 for Memorial Day weekend. Snow pack still on the ground in some places, but trail and markers were easy to navigate. This was my first family back backing adventure. I see this hike being great for hikers of all skill sets. Want to do again and go deeper into the Dinkey Lakes Wilderness.

This was our first backpacking trip. The lake and surrounding areas where so beautiful. We will be going back again.

I hiked this trail with three of my girlfriends… we hiked it in middle of July. The weather was cool mid 60s. I think 5 miles is probably pretty accurate. It was harder and further than we all thought but so much more beautiful than we could've ever imagined. There were lush green meadows sprinkled of wildflowers most likely due to the recent rains. The trail had stunning forest and lake views on the way up. Dress in layers, wear good shoes, and take water and food-great day hike!

Hiked in and camped for a couple of nights in early June. Trail was easy to follow and well maintained. It's a solid 5 mile hike with some decent elevation change the last mile or so to the lake. The trail also starts above Courtright and drops for the first 1.4 miles. Don't discount this, it was tougher than I thought on the way back out.

We had the full gamut of weather during our brief stay... massive thunderstorms, hail, snow, and rain each afternoon along with a fair share of sunshine in the morning and clear skies at night.

We snagged a wonderful campsite that had a great fire pit up against a huge granite boulder. Great views and best of all, NO mosquitoes. Pretty sure it was the weather that kept them at bay, it certainly wasn't hot at any time. The highest temperature was probably in the mid-60's and it dropped into the low 30's at night. All in all a very enjoyable trip. Quite possibly my new favorite place. Another big plus of this trailhead is that the road in is very nicely paved all the way to the TH parking lot.

Went mid-August. No bugs and mid-70s heat. The trail from trail head to lake seem longer than the 2.75 miles listed here, would estimate closer to 4. Good cover along the way with some good forest views. Views at the lake are spectacular and well worth the trip. Wear good hiking shoes and bring a water filter if temps climb

did this trail as a day hike... it seems like it's longer than 5.5 miles! but trail is well maintained and the last 4 miles up to cliff lake is all up hill and plenty of loose rocks "so watch your step!" definitely made me stop for a few breathers! but cliff lake is awesome and well worth it! the overall trail was pretty difficult for me...

Easy trail. Very well marked and maintained.

Cliff lake is absolutely beautiful! Well worth all the mosquitoes (which are pretty bad in the month of July). Camped at Courtright and hiked to cliff lake just for the day. Too bad the only way to camp there is if you have backpacking gear or a horse. Went swimming in the lake, also did some fishing.

Great trip for the weekend. Trail well marked and maintained. Fishing is amazing all season, caution to those who don't care for mosquitoes, be sure to go later in the year.

Awesome hike and beautiful area. Great campsites along the lake. Would be 5 stars but the mosquitos were horrible.