Clevenger Canyon-San Pasqual North Trail

Clevenger Canyon-San Pasqual North Trail is a 4.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Escondido, CA that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Rugged mountains east of San Pasqual Valley, north of Hwy 78. The North Trail crosses the lush riparian ribbon of Santa Ysabel Creek in the canyon bottom and then more rugged terrain on the slopes. The original 10-mile trail is overgrown with vegetation and not well-defined past a certain point, so hikers are advised to turn back when the trail is no longer easily visible. This hike is about 5 miles east of the Wild Animal Park directly off the 78 Hwy. You start off heading down to a creek and then up up up to great views of the surrounding mountains and orange groves. There wasn't a lot of shade on the trail, so I would do this on a cool day or start early with plenty of water and sunscreen. While the trail is well maintained and easy to navigate, there are some parts with a drop to one side. Be careful taking kids and dogs on this one. You could have a nice picnic down by the water. I bet in the summer its a nice way to cool your feet after a moderately strenuous hike to the top of the hill. The trail continued past where we turned around, but I'm not sure where it goes, so we turned back at the sign. Enjoy!

Despite using the guide on the Modern Hiker website, I lost the trail a bit over a mile in and couldn't find it again as it became pretty overgrown. Met some others on the way who were pretty lost as well. Wear long pants as it's pretty easy to get scratched up!

Great hike! The trail was kind of hard to find sometimes, I had to use my phone GPS to make sure I stayed on track. Not too busy though.

Beast of a trail. Great mountain hike. Awesome views from the top! Bring alot of water for the way up.

Great trail for a conditioning hike. Not too difficult at all. I started at 0600 and logged almost 5 miles on this trail. went up quickly and then walked and ran my way down. Great views of the valley and of the South Trail just across the hwy. I hiked the South Trail last week and being able to see the trail and the ridge from the opposite side gives you a bit of perspective of where you were and where you traveled to and from.

Road noise takes away from the solitude, however the views were good. I recommend it for anyone trying to be alone. There is much to explore and would like to do it again in the fall or winter.

geocaching

My family and I loved this trail. We loved being surrounded by nature and the amazing views

Went early AM, the trail was very much full of dew, which made for a fresh, crisp hike! My concerns are the graffiti on rocks, broken bottles and beer cans lying around; you can tell that many undesirables visit the place from time to time. Once you get deeper into the trail, it's amazing, the wildlife and animals you'll see make the hike worth it! Justa heads up, wear pants, the trail is a bit on the wild side, so you will make frequent contact with plants during your hike.

Loved the trail, the scenery, the birds, and all the desert wildflowers. If you like sidewalks, this trail is not for you. Wear pants, and you'll enjoy the views. Totally worth the drive.

definitely not a maintained trail. the wildflowers were everywhere though, a very pretty hike. the chairs at the end is what kept us motivated!

fun challenging hike! a few parts of the trail could be better marked. highly recommend.

Strenuous hike up there, but is good! Make sure you use the all trails hiking map of this hike when you do it because my dad and I got lost off the trail for about 30 minutes. The map is very helpful because with all the switchbacks and very little signs it is easy to go off. There are many other "trails" that look like the correct trail when you come to some areas. With the trail map on here the gps will guide you perfectly to the top

Solid hike. Very challenging getting up the mountain. Very pretty. The rain has washed out some of the smooth trail do be careful. Nice breeze. Bring water.

Great trail; would recommend. Entrance is right off the 78 a few miles east of the San Diego Zoo Safari Park. Parking is directly on the side of the road. You start off downhill going down to the bottom of the ravine and then zig zag your way all the way up. My walk tracking app said we did about 1612 ft in elevation. There were a few spots we had to jump over because of water erosion, some quite steep climbs on somewhat loose gravel and a few spots where the trail was tricky to find. We went on a Saturday and only ran into about three other hikers - so not a crowded spot. Overall, a challenging hike and the view from the top is spectacular. Highly recommend getting to the lookout point if you can make it!

Good cardio, nice views

Great views and just the right amount of pumps. A great cardio workout. Wear long pants, I got a little scratched up on the trails.

I'm surprised to see this trail reviewed so poorly on this site. The hike offers a really nice pace that balances a moderate workout with great views. The only downside is the graffiti on some rocks (mainly at the start of the trail).