Chollas Lake Park

Chollas Lake Park is a 2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Diego, CA that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and trail running and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

park opens at 0800 hrs and closes at 1730 hrs (530 PM). no dogs are allowed. parking is free but you realy need to find a spot.

Great dog walk and stop to feed the ducks!

It's okay

I walked laps around the lake plenty of times, but I was not aware of the trails west of the lake till I saw the map on this app. You can get a serious workout hiking the trails on the west side.

I just went around the mile track around the lake. It's so great! The weather is nice, the view is beautiful,and the track is great for racking up the miles!

Pretty but most of all relaxing

Very pretty. Par course there, if you're into that. Lots of swans and other rad birds.

Love to take my dog out here ❤️

Pretty but run down. Nice walk with some shade.

I jog the back trails along with the lake trail X2 for a total distance of about 4.75 miles. this is close to me, so very convenient.

love this area, my grandma has been hiking here for years. nice area, safe and the ducks are loud but cute. i come here almost once a month.

if you go to what looks like a deserted area and see a baseball field keep going and go up the slope! it's a work out!!

This trail is a very easy, beautiful jog around the lake. Lots of trees, so it gives just enough shade, small playground and fishing area for the kids. Very family friendly :)

This is my once a week go to! Grew up in the area, never get tired of coming here. So peaceful!!

Enough elevation change to make you work a little. Trails pretty well maintained but signage was a bit spotty. Not enough to detract from some nice scenery.

Relaxing at Chollas Lake: It's a little oasis with the sweetest wildlife perks. Walking from the parking lot toward the lake, one is likely to be enthusiastically greeted by pigeons and squirrels actually sitting side by side hoping for offerings of food. They are more likely to run towards you than away from you. And, it's an amazing experience to sit at the concrete table surrounded by very large birds who act as if you are one of them. Here you can forget that you're in the city, and forget your cares. Jog, walk, sit, or just enjoy the experience being a few incredible inches away from animals that don't mind you being there as long as you wish.

I live across the street from this park and just recently found out about the Trail Running section of it!

-First, there is a "paved" section, I put it in quotation marks because it is technically paved, but as another reviewer pointed out it is pretty uneven terrain, but it is all around the Lake so it is peaceful. At 0.8 miles the paved loop is good for walking, new runners, running with the peace of the water right next to you and, since the water is right next to you, for when it's super hot outside because the loop is cooled by the Lake.

-Second, there is the trail that is mapped on this site, this is about 0.6 miles of the paved path and then about 1.4 miles of trails with some good unevenness and a few good uphills. This area actually has a lot of smaller "goat trails" that zig zag back and forth across the canyon area, so if exact distance is less important to you and getting some good training in on tough terrain is your goal then they mix it up and make it much more difficult.

-Third, there is actually a long trail here which I refer to as the Rim Trail, because it follows the rim of the Canyon that this Park is in on the North side. I would put this trail at closer to 2.6 miles, it is unpaved, but relatively flat, it does have a HUGE uphill to begin and a HUGE downhill to finish so be aware of that. The best part of this section of the Trails is that you can stop and see all of Downtown San Diego, the entire Park, Coronado Bridge and the Pacific Ocean from way back in our suburb.

There is also a fitness type of trail with pullups, pushups, balance beams, steps, etc. I have not tried this yet but probably will this weekend.

Overall I feel exceptionally lucky to live where I live after finding this San Diego Trail Running gem!

So it might be a goose... He's large and brown with a flat horn like head and an orange beak. He'll come running if you call him. Yep he's definitely a goose! :D

Found this gem with this app! I love it for a relaxing walk around the lake (or you can jog multiple loops for a better workout). To be honest, my girlfriend walks the lake; I visit the birds. There are so many! The ranger once saw me interacting with the huge swans (not all are white), and gave me a tip. If you're female, find the brown one that looks older with the most skin hanging from his neck. Call to him. His name is Arrowhead. He's amazing!! I go here just to visit him. :)

I was looking at the list of suggested hikes for me. I've done Chollas Lake Park several times in the past. I need to do it again soon and rewrite this review.