EveryTrail is now a part of AllTrails! Please click here to read more.

Chiquito Trail to Chiquito Falls

Chiquito Trail to Chiquito Falls is a 8.7 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lake Elsinore, CA that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

When you think of hiking in Orange County, you don't usually envision dramatic waterfalls. But during the spring, there are a number of wonderful seasonal waterfalls that are just a hike away. One of the best is Chiquito Falls.

Great! Low traffic being a weekday. One of my favs.

I've only been to the Santa Rosa Plateau and have been looking for more trials close to home. My friend took me to this one and I loved it! There may not be any water anymore but the hike is still beautiful. My dogs loved it! Tons of shade throughout the hike. We couldn't finish the hike as there was a big fat rattle snake in the path so we had to turn back but it was still a lot of fun.

2nd time, great hike. Looking to go to the San Juan trail next time

Started across from the Candy Store. Difficult ascent but no bushwacking. Breathtaking height from the ridge. Falls are gone - dry outright. Clerk at Candy Store said there hasn't been a waterfall for years. Take it for a great hike alone which it is!

We took the dogs and had a great time. Easy hike with gorgeous views. You can hear traffic at the beginning and end of the loop.

fun trail...beautiful views

Great trail for beginners, Have done this 4 times and ready to graduate. Took Wife twice now and we have a taste for hiking. Great hike for couples .

Like Susan said, if you don't want to hear traffic this isn't for you. Otherwise I enjoyed it.

This was a fairly easy trail, with some pretty sections through a grove of live oaks. However, most of the trail is within earshot of the Ortega Highway, which is loud on weekends. Probably won't be back, not really the "nature experience" that I was looking for.

great hike

This trail is a pretty good short trail. We knew that coming in and decided to go off the chiquito trail for a little bit. I brought my dogs and they did well.

Fun. Except where we missed a turn and got off the loop. Never did find the loop, but had fun anyway. Hiked a few miles somewhere and turned around and came back. Very green this time of year.

Beautiful trail!

geocaching

Great

We were in the area and saw the trail head for San Juan Loop Trail. After already going on a few hikes that day we decided to check it out and we were all glad we did. We started this trail with the path to the right by the Trail Map sign, it was a nice gradual decent with a few switch backs down into the canyon. The canyon area was very covered with a nice Oak Glen at the middle way point on this trail. The trail itself was pretty shaded most of the way which was nice. As others have mentioned it wasn't extremely busy and the trail was for the most part clean and graffiti free (something that is getting harder and harder to find in SoCal, pity.). Once you reach the campground you have a final push up a slight grade back into the parking lot. This was a very enjoyable hike and through short (2.2 miles) the scenery was great. I plan on doing this hike again when I'm in the area and maybe check out the Chiquito trail as well (which branches off at the middle way point).

If you start at the Blue Jay Campground and take the Upper San Juan Hiking Trail from the campground entrance you walk about a mile and a half to the trailhead for the Chiquito Trail. The first half of this well marked trail takes you through thick scrub oak woods down to the Chiquito waterfall. From there it's another four miles to the San Juan Loop Trail through chaparral and a rocky ridge. The last two miles is uphill to the Forest Service public parking lot. This shuttle hike will take between four and fives hours but is relatively easy. You will need two cars to get from point to point. This is one of the best hikes in the Cleveland National Forest.

Started from the parking lot across the street from the candy store. At the 1.1 mile marker, turned off towards Chiquito trail. A gradual but steady ascent from that point on until mile 4.3. Then the falls will begin to appear on your left. They were dry but nonetheless, a very beautiful and scenic hike. Terrain is a little rocky at times so watch your step and a good 9.2 mile there and back workout.

I did this hike probably ten times between last august to this past march. One of my favorite hikes, if you start at the trailhead to the right of the parking lot it's a lot of down hill, to flat, to slowly inclining which is easiest. If you start on the left side, you end up going up a more difficult incline that you would normally go down the other direction. Takes 30 minutes moving fast, 45-an hour at moderate pace.