Chinquapin Trail

Chinquapin Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Redwood City, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

This is 1.8-mile-long moderately difficult trail is composed of gravel and soil and leads hikers among Huckleberry, Toyon and Redwood trees. Connect to the Crystal Springs and Dean trails to complete a 7-mile loop. Horses are welcome.

I was a little concerned when I first started the hike. It was not easy to locate the trail head and the trail runs along campsites and a road. However, once I got a little way into the trail it became more secluded. The ascent was steady but not too steep. It got my heart rate up without it being overwhelming. It is a nice shaded trail the whole way. My problem was with the descent. I came to a four way intersection that didn't have any of the trails marked. I was a little frustrated. I selected one and went a little way down it and then checked the GPS. I was following along with a previously posted GPS route. I realized pretty quickly it was the wrong trail. This happened a few times. For this reason I will probably skip this in the future. Parking is $6 however, it is nice to have plenty of it. There are also flush toilets with soap and water so that is a plus.

Really pretty! Not too difficult, but gave a good workout. The trees are beautiful and it was a really quiet trail.