Chinquapin Trail

Chinquapin Trail is a 5.3 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Redwood City, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Horses are also able to use this trail.

From Interstate 280 in San Mateo County, take the Woodside Road exit (California Highway 84). Go west through town of Woodside for about 1.5 miles, then go right on Kings Mountain Road. Go about 2 miles to the park entrance on the right.

Great trail

I was a little concerned when I first started the hike. It was not easy to locate the trail head and the trail runs along campsites and a road. However, once I got a little way into the trail it became more secluded. The ascent was steady but not too steep. It got my heart rate up without it being overwhelming. It is a nice shaded trail the whole way. My problem was with the descent. I came to a four way intersection that didn't have any of the trails marked. I was a little frustrated. I selected one and went a little way down it and then checked the GPS. I was following along with a previously posted GPS route. I realized pretty quickly it was the wrong trail. This happened a few times. For this reason I will probably skip this in the future. Parking is $6 however, it is nice to have plenty of it. There are also flush toilets with soap and water so that is a plus.

Really pretty! Not too difficult, but gave a good workout. The trees are beautiful and it was a really quiet trail.

Nice hike, though it did not meet my expectations. Perhaps, my expectations had been set unreasonably high from the fabulous Purisima Preserve hike just a few minutes drive away! If you are in the neighborhood for a limited time and can do only one, drive to Purisima!

Hike was anticlimactic plus I made the mistake of starting along the Dean trail and working my way past screaming kids and BBQ's for the first 20-30 minutes. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with that - but I was excited to hike in peace. (it was a crowded Saturday in August, too).

Once you get past the Dean trail you will work your way away from the road into very peaceful forest. The forest is pretty dense, enough that I never really felt sunshine hitting me, on an otherwise sunny day.

There are no obvious lookouts or Places of particular interest. There is a Teepee towards the middle of the hike near the Skyline Junction, but that was about the most obvious point of differentiation from the rest of the trail.

I don't want it to sound like this is a bad hike, just want to align your expectations appropriately. Of course, it is always great to get out of the city and enjoy 8 miles worth of walking in forest!

Hope this helps!