Cheeseboro Southern Park Loop

Cheeseboro Southern Park Loop is a 2 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Agoura Hills, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Cheeseboro Park is one of the many National Park Sites within the SMMNRA (Santa Monica Nationa Recreation area) and is very popular with visitors due to its relatively level terrain. And it's great for kids and families! If you only have one hour to spend at Cheeseboro Canyon, this short trek is great. This specific route is a relatively flat two mile hike that takes approximately one hour to complete. This hike is especially great during the summer as it is mostly alongside a creek and under a canopy of valley oak trees.

I'm afraid the description of Cheeseboro Southern Park oversells the area. Don't get me wrong, I really like the southern part of the Cheeseboro Park. I originally submitted the trail because I wanted to get the word out. However, if you think you're going to see bobcats and foxes, you're going to be disappointed. To begin with both are nocturnal. They aren't out and about when most of us are hiking. The habitat would support them but over the years I have logged thousands of miles in similar habitat and I've seen a bobcat once. There are lots of squirrels and lizards. Birds are plentiful and you might see a hawk in the sky above. Although I haven't seen one in this area, I suspect coyote sightings aren't uncommon. You're chance of seeing deer would increase early morning and evenings. Snakes are also common, in particular rattlesnakes. Obviously they require some caution. Although there is shade the summer sun is hot and there are significant stretches with no shade. I'd definitely avoid the area if temps are climbing into the 90s. It's still a great area and I would also recommend it for kids and families.

The vast majority of people heading out from the Cheeseboro Canyon trail head go north. I've hiked this trail many times and was always curious about the trail that headed south. Took it on a whim. It's a very nice trail with some nice oak stands. It goes by the original Morrison Ranch House, a nice piece of local history. Typical landscape for the Las Virgenes, Cheeseboro and Palo Comado Canyon areas. Definately worth doing as one of the selection of trails off Cheesebro Rd