Cerro San Luis Trail

Cerro San Luis Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near San Luis Obispo, CA that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Lemon grove loop trail is 2.20 mile trail located near San Luis Obispo, California. The trail is primarily used for hiking.

amazing view..fun easy hike

Like hiking this trail often great views at the top

Long and rocky in places but good view

Looked like a pretty hike but it's not actually dog friendly so we went to Cerro Alto instead.

We took the whole family, this is a great hike for all!!

Good trail. Took the loop thru old lemon trees. Trail is narrow with grooves from bikes.

Not too hard of a hike, pretty mellow over all! Beautiful creek, shady trails, and a beautiful view at the top!!

A good workout

Good exercise and I like that's it's short and the trail head is right off the freeway, so it's great if you only have a few hours not the whole day. The 360 degree views from the top were great, and it's fun to see a birds eye view of SLO and how it's laid out. But the trail itself seemed a little boring to me, just dry shrub and up, up, up at a fairly consistent incline; I prefer a little more up and down, and more trees just for some variety.

Great hike and views from the top. Toughest part is at the beginning.

Tough enough to get your heart rate up. Easy enough to do with decently in shape children. Be aware of your route as there are finger routes that can take hours to correct after an exploratory wrong turn. But eventually you will get back down. :) good news is there are always people coming and someone will help you if you need it. Wear well treaded hiking shoes because areas of the trail are loose, making it easy to lose your footing. I slipped 3 times.

Love hiking Madonna Mnt! Especially before sunrise & sitting at the top watching the sun rise & being above the clouds! SOOO cool! Love it.

I have lived ion San Luis Obispo since 1943 and as a youth i climbed CERRO SAN LUIS OBISPO many times before it had any real trails and before Alex Madonna bought most of it. I bought a home on the Foothill side of SAN LUIS MOUNTAIN in 1958 and so did a lot of other people in our Parkview Tract Number 1. We and the Madonna's own the mountain. IE they are not alone so please never refer to it as Madonna Mountain. Alex and his family are great people and my connections with Alex when he was alive were always good. But if you want to change the name you could call it Rowan Mountain or Birkett, or Preston, or Clements, or Nadalsky, or Stoefel, or McCarthy or any of the several hundred people who live on the mountainside. Please it is SAN LUIS MOUNTAIN. i enjoy looking at it every day from my second floor solarium. At 83 I doubt I will ever climb it again. Frank H. Rowan

Did this hike on 6/15/13. Nice hike all I can say is that on the way back do not go on the trail to the left of the hill and if you do you will come across gravel and rock I fell and stumbled many times. Then when we came to the area of the bells for the bike we went left again needless to say it took another 3 miles to get back to the front of the mountain. You want an easy hike go down the hill the same way you went up if you want a workout take the trail to the left from the top! Have fun!!

The trail head is an easy find. It is right off an entrance/exit ramp for the 101. Parking lot seemed ample. The trail has some marking signs but there were many other crossings that mountain bikers may have created causing confusion on how to follow the trail. I had already hiked up to the big "M" which stands for Mission High School and then I walked up to the top of San Luis Mountain, where the views are spectacular. To the North you can easily see Bishop Peak, another fine hike to be done at some future date. This area is known as Maino Open Space and it is open even though it is near the city. Flowers are plentiful and grasses are tall so be prepared for possible tics. A good walk or hike.

Beautiful view. Lots of people on the trail. Great unless you prefer solitude. Lots of families, bikes, and even horses. Dogs OK, but make sure your dog is in shape, it's a steep climb. Saw a mixed breed bull dog that was over heated, could not walk further, and could hardly breath--seriously in jeopardy.

Loved the amazing view. The cloud layer at the top was so impressive.

This is one of my favorite hikes. It's (somewhat) easy, and the view is amazing. I love doing this one.